FANDOM


  • This is the official discussion thread for S2E4, "Befana".

    Post and share your thoughts on the episode here. You will not need to mark spoilers in this thread.

      Loading editor
    • Well there goes my Halloween theory.

        Loading editor
    • I'm so pumped for this episode! Can't wait! According to a lot of people this is the episode with the balcony scene! I'm extremely excited about this. I really want to know what led Marinette and Chat to be together on the balcony, perhaps Chat wanted to talk with Mari? Maybe Chat just wanted to sit on her balcony because of the view? Very excited. I also want to know what Chat and Mari discuss? When they turn their heads to eachother, do they just stay silent? So many questions!

        Loading editor
    • Crylicsarq wrote:
      I'm so pumped for this episode! Can't wait! According to a lot of people this is the episode with the balcony scene! I'm extremely excited about this. I really want to know what led Marinette and Chat to be together on the balcony, perhaps Chat wanted to talk with Mari? Maybe Chat just wanted to sit on her balcony because of the view? Very excited. I also want to know what Chat and Mari discuss? When they turn their heads to eachother, do they just stay silent?

      So many questions!

      according to the spoiler, it's marinette's birthday, so maybe he wanted to congratulate her? i'm really curious whether we're really going to see the balcony scene or they saved it for later episodes. also love how they throw us all the ships haha. first adrinette dancing scene, then ladynoir in "prime queen", the upcoming ladrien in riposte and then the marichat tomorrow. 

      i also can't wait to see her grandmother, she seems so cool and like a grown up version of marinette.

        Loading editor
    • I watched a teaser for the episode, and there is definitely at least one MariChat moment. It also seems that Benfa's power is to shoot people using her flintlock pisotol thing, which turns them into wierd gargoyle/angle things under her control. That, and she has a flying motorcycle. 

      I need to know what set of circumstances resulted in this. 

        Loading editor
    • I'm extremely excited for this episode. I'm outstandingly eager to see Marinette's paternal grandmother's debut this episode. In light of the sneak peek, it would appear that Marinette and her grandmother are very close. Marinette's grandma resembles an amazing, intuitive and an exceptional lovable character.

      Moreover, it seems like it is Marinette's birthday and everybody in Marinette's class is celebrating. All things considered, Marinette's grandmother will transform into "The Befana." In Italian legends, Befana is an old woman who conveys gifts to kids all through Italy on Epiphany Eve. The Epiphany occasion is on the January 6. So perhaps that when Marinette's birthday is?

      Also, The Befana's abilities look truly cool. She has a pistol weapon that transforms individuals into mind-controlled Gargoyles that do her bidding for her. This is a truly cool capacity. This is additionally the first occasion when we Sabine and Tom turn malevolent for once. I'm intrigued to perceive how that turns out.

      In addition, it appears as though there are new renderers and new locations in this episode. I'm grateful that the crew was able to render new places and expand Paris. That is fascinating. Overall, I'm hyped to see this episode, tomorrow!

        Loading editor
    • So angels attacks Paris, eh? Cool! The oldest villain up to date appears. She's awesome.

        Loading editor
    • Yes she is and look a that hot ride(bike)

        Loading editor
    • Princess of Harte
      Princess of Harte removed this reply because:
      Cursing
      20:03, October 29, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • I'm excited!

        Loading editor
    • Chi of Darkness wrote:
      So angels attacks Paris, eh? Cool! The oldest villain up to date appears. She's awesome.

      I was thinking that too. That's awesome.

        Loading editor
    • The name Befana is actually Italian and means  Epiphany in English

        Loading editor
    • MariChatón218 wrote:
      I'm extremely excited for this episode. I'm outstandingly eager to see Marinette's paternal grandmother's debut this episode. In light of the sneak peek, it would appear that Marinette and her grandmother are very close. Marinette's grandma resembles an amazing, intuitive and an exceptional lovable character.

      Moreover, it seems like it is Marinette's birthday and everybody in Marinette's class is celebrating. All things considered, Marinette's grandmother will transform into "The Befana." In Italian legends, Befana is an old woman who conveys gifts to kids all through Italy on Epiphany Eve. The Epiphany occasion is on the January 6. So perhaps that when Marinette's birthday is?

      Also, The Befana's abilities look truly cool. She has a pistol weapon that transforms individuals into mind-controlled Gargoyles that do her bidding for her. This is a truly cool capacity. This is additionally the first occasion when we Sabine and Tom turn malevolent for once. I'm intrigued to perceive how that turns out.

      In addition, it appears as though there are new renderers and new locations in this episode. I'm grateful that the crew was able to render new places and expand Paris. That is fascinating. Overall, I'm hyped to see this episode, tomorrow!

      Agreed. I'm very excited to see her in Befana. It's good to know Tom has some Italian heritage too. Marinette's burthday will be in Fefana so that's mostly likely when her birthday is.

        Loading editor
    • Princess of Harte
      Princess of Harte removed this reply because:
      Cursing
      20:03, October 29, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • I never knew a Grandma could look so cool! I feel like I've waited ages for this episode (yet somehow I waited 18 months for season 2?)

      The angels remind me of the weeping angels from Doctor Who, fingers crossed that they are a different sort of angel lol. After originally seeing the synopsis for the episode, I assumed Sabine's mother was going to make an appearance, and that she would somehow tie into Marinette being Ladybug. I pictured her being wise and elderly, but the complete opposite was delivered. Not that that's a bad thing in any way, in fact I quite like the idea of Marinette's grandmother riding a motorcyle, I'm quite jealous in fact as I wouldn't catch mine near one in a million years.

      Everyone is speculating that the balcony scene will take place in the episode, just because of the Marichat in the trailer. If we do get the scene I will be really happy, just hoping it lives up to all the hype after Wilfried tweeted about it last year.

      Here are some questions: How old is Marinette turning? We've guessed she's around 13-15, my hopes are that she's a little bit on the older side, perhaps turning 15? Do you think they will age across the series or not? My guesses are no because it's a cartoon however if they've put in birthdays for Marinette and Adrien then perhaps they do.

      My final question: Is season 2 set in a new school year?

      I've only brought these up to see peoples theories, but they've been toying at my mind since seeing the episode trailer.

        Loading editor
    • If the akuma is in her gun and she has her flying motorcycle, that means she must have been akumatized when she was sitting on it, like Roger in his police car.

        Loading editor
    • Chi of Darkness wrote:
      If the akuma is in her gun and she has her flying motorcycle, that means she must have been akumatized when she was sitting on it, like Roger in his police car.

      My question is , why does she have a gun as her weapon, that's a little intense for a children's show. I know that Ladybug and chat Noir fight everyday, but is Marinette's grandma attacking, or defending, if so , what?

        Loading editor
    • TrixyFire wrote:
      Chi of Darkness wrote:
      If the akuma is in her gun and she has her flying motorcycle, that means she must have been akumatized when she was sitting on it, like Roger in his police car.
      My question is , why does she have a gun as her weapon, that's a little intense for a children's show. I know that Ladybug and chat Noir fight everyday, but is Marinette's grandma attacking, or defending, if so , what?

      The gun turns people into angels minions, not killing anyone here, it's like a toy gun. Seems the munitions are the candies Marinette is eating on the carousel. 

        Loading editor
    • Slabcity wrote:
      I never knew a Grandma could look so cool! I feel like I've waited ages for this episode (yet somehow I waited 18 months for season 2?)

      The angels remind me of the weeping angels from Doctor Who, fingers crossed that they are a different sort of angel lol. After originally seeing the synopsis for the episode, I assumed Sabine's mother was going to make an appearance, and that she would somehow tie into Marinette being Ladybug. I pictured her being wise and elderly, but the complete opposite was delivered. Not that that's a bad thing in any way, in fact I quite like the idea of Marinette's grandmother riding a motorcyle, I'm quite jealous in fact as I wouldn't catch mine near one in a million years.

      Everyone is speculating that the balcony scene will take place in the episode, just because of the Marichat in the trailer. If we do get the scene I will be really happy, just hoping it lives up to all the hype after Wilfried tweeted about it last year.

      Here are some questions: How old is Marinette turning? We've guessed she's around 13-15, my hopes are that she's a little bit on the older side, perhaps turning 15? Do you think they will age across the series or not? My guesses are no because it's a cartoon however if they've put in birthdays for Marinette and Adrien then perhaps they do.

      My final question: Is season 2 set in a new school year?

      I've only brought these up to see peoples theories, but they've been toying at my mind since seeing the episode trailer.

      i feel the same haha.. i had no problems waiting for 18 months for the new season, but now i'm obssesively waiting for new episodes and/or updates haha..

      i'm actually suprised that they included so many birthdays in this show, since it makes them dated. they are inconsistency between the french and english dub, like in the korean and french dub the history book is from the 9th grade while in the eng sub it is from the 10th. and again, depending from which country you are, the grades and ages are different. but in timebraker, alix celebrated her 15th birthday, so i think marinette is going to turn 15 as well.  it is also hard to date her birthday, because while the januari 6 seems plausible, given the akuma's name and motives, but the again, it would be winter in france so the scenario wouldn't really suit i guess? but then again, the only time they showed a winter episode was the christmas special...

      i don't think they will age them, or at least not in the near future. it would be interesting to see them in their late-teens, but maybe for the later seasons. i mean, they are inspired by animes, and they did age sailor moon and co as well. but my guess is that they are going to keep the class arrangement and the age at least till season 3. i'm a bit confused about the school year as well tbh. because volpina was in their last school day, when i'm not mistaken, but they haven't mentioned a change of class or whatever (since it's been etablished in the origins that they do change their classes every year). so i guess they are still in the same year?

        Loading editor
    • Epiphany means a manifestation of a divine or supernatural being.mabue that helps us/me to understand the angels

        Loading editor
      • mabye
        Loading editor
    • the episode was sooo cute and her grandmother is really charming. 

      glad that they included the bracelet from the gamer in this episode. no balcony scene, but i can live with the adrinette ending haha. 

      and i am still in awe about how much the animation improved. 

        Loading editor
    • OwO

      This episode was amazing.

        Loading editor
    • ThatOneFan420
      ThatOneFan420 removed this reply because:
      bc
      10:56, October 30, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Marinette knows that they're throwing a surprise birthday party for her, so when her grandmother wants to hang out with her, Marinette ends up being more focused on Alya calling her to take her to the "dentist" than hanging out with her grandmother. (It's also worth the notice that it seems her grandmother hadn't seen Marinette in forever and had bought her a tiny shirt, believing she was still a lot younger. Marinette also turned fourteen) Once Alya calls, Marinette attempts to lie to her grandmother, but ends up telling the truth about her knowing about the surprise birthday party. Her grandmother tells her it's okay to go, but is in reality sad about it, wanting to spend more time with Marinette. Once her grandmother opens the box of candies that she thought Marinette loved, she realizes that Marinette hadn't been actually eating them, but leaving the wrappers in the package with the uneaten candy. This is when Hawkmoth akumatizes her into the Befana (it also seems that her dad/grandmother have Italian descent, judging by the accent her grandmother has). When Marinette's parents are trying to bring the cake to the party, they try to invite her grandmother with her, but upon trying to do so they end up realizing that she had been akumatized. Her grandmother is upset with her son and turns him into coal, while she turns her daughter-in-law into a "fairy" for always having been nice to her when she visited. On Marinette's side, Alya reveals that it's a surprise birthday party and Marinette is ecstatic to see that Adrien had come to her party. Once it gets around to Adrien gifting her a present, the Befana comes in, voicing that she is upset with Marinette for having "lied" and inevitably targets her. All of her friends defend her, Rose even saying that Marinette is the sweetest girl in the world, but everyone except for Rose, who the Befana applauded for having stood up for her friend, gets turned into coal. Chat Noir enters the scene, fighting off Marinette's mom and eventually sneaking Marinette away from her akumatized grandmother. Chat Noir places Marinette on the eiffel tower, hoping that it'll keep her safe. He also tells her happy birthday. Marinette takes this opportunity to transform into Ladybug, then she goes head on with the Befana who's looking for Marinette. The Befana says, "What do cats do when they're afraid? They climb higher up!" and she figures that Marinette must be at the eiffel tower. If anyone's wondering what Ladybug says when she covers her mouth, Chat Noir is telling her that he had put Marinette on the eiffel tower and she replies with, "No, I'm--" then covers her mouth. On the eiffel tower, Ladybug assures that Marinette is safe. This in my opinion reflects the Volpina episode in a way. Anyways, once they're face to face with the Befana, they "give in" but in reality Chat Noir is buying time so Ladybug can devise a plan to take the Befana down. While Chat Noir shows the Befana where he "hid Marinette", Ladybug ends up using her smarts to defeat the Befana and that's that. Upon returning to the party, her grandmother seems a lot happier and is glad that Marinette is using a purse she had gotten from her. Adrien gives the gift to Marinette again, which ends up being a charm that he had handcrafted himself, saying that the one she had given him really works. Marinette of course gets flustered about this, but gets around to saying thank you. Then, Marinette puts on a necklace with the charm she had gotten from Tikki and thanks her for it. Now the last scene with Adrien smiling down at the charm that Marinette had given him, well that you can interpret yourself. Sorry this may be a bit wonky, I only woke up a little more than an hour ago. XD

        Loading editor
    • That was an awesome episode! Loved it.

        Loading editor
    • Xoxoxoooo wrote:
      the episode was sooo cute and her grandmother is really charming. 

      glad that they included the bracelet from the gamer in this episode. no balcony scene, but i can live with the adrinette ending haha. 

      and i am still in awe about how much the animation improved. 

      ikr like did u see the way he was looking at the bracelet? He was clearly thinking about Marinette and had the same look on his face he made as Chat Noi toward LB in Season 1 in The Mime.

        Loading editor
    • The charm Tikki got for Marinette is one half of the Yin Yang. I know that the Ladybug and Chat Noir Miraculouses are also Yin and Yang, or at least compared to that. I'm wondering if Plagg will also give Adrien a charm in the same shape - the other half on the Yin Yang. Perhaps if you put the charms togther that is how you obtain the "god-like power" or maybe something else happens. That's just my take from what I've seen of the episode so far. I'll need to watch it subbed before I can make any more theories.

        Loading editor
    • I found Marinette mean with her grandma that she hasn't seen in god knows how long who just wanted to be there for her birthday, lying to her the entire time, then ditching her to go to "the dentis"t with her friend when she knows it will be a surprise party, she could have invited her. Althought the grandma's gifts were not really that great, but it's the thought that counts. Still, Marinette turned 14, couldn't she have actually be upfront with her granny and tell her that she didn't like candies and that all the things they did, it was too childish for her? They could have try more fun things, her grandma rides a motorcycle for the world's sake, she would have understand, after all it's her birthday and her grandma just wanted some quality time with her, making her happy is all what she wanted. And her not listening to Tikki because of her phone. Jeez, when people make you a surprise party, you must have the decendy to pretend like if you knew nothing, not just make everyone panick as soon as you see them on purpose, not cool Marinette. Also that part where Rose said Marinette never lied to them is pure irony. I would have liked to see Chat Noir as a fairy, he totally has the angel look, he just miss the wings and the halo.

        Loading editor
    • Chi of Darkness wrote:
      I found Marinette mean with her grandma that she hasn't seen in god knows how long who just wanted to be there for her birthday, lying to her the entire time, then ditching her to go to "the dentis"t with her friend when she knows it will be a surprise party, she could have invited her. Althought the grandma's gifts were not really that great, but it's the thought that counts. Still, Marinette turned 14, couldn't she have actually be upfront with her granny and tell her that she didn't like candies and that all the things they did, it was too childish for her? They could have try more fun things, her grandma rides a motorcycle for the world's sake, she would have understand, after all it's her birthday and her grandma just wanted some quality time with her, making her happy is all what she wanted. And her not listening to Tikki because of her phone. Jeez, when people make you a surprise party, you must have the decendy to pretend like if you knew nothing, not just make everyone panick as soon as you see them on purpose, not cool Marinette. Also that part where Rose said Marinette never lied to them is pure irony. I would have liked to see Chat Noir as a fairy, he totally has the angel look, he just miss the wings and the halo.

      Her Grandma would have realized earlier if she had just let her son talk

        Loading editor
    • I dont think it was entirely Marinette's fault. Her Grandma turned up out of nowhere after god knows how long and just takes Marinette out to the zoo, things they USED TO DO. I don't think it's fair that her Grandma felt she had the right to be annoyed as she hasn't really got to know the older Marinette. Then again, perhaps it was more sadness than annoyance.

      I mean Marinette didn't do everything right, if I were her I would have said something about the party at the least.

        Loading editor
    • It's not fair to blame anyone. No one is at fault here. But I will admit, the scene where Gina was rejected did almost maker me tear up. Marinette could at least have the decency to invite Gina to her party. However, in the end, Marinette apologized and they both shared a very cute hug. This hug scene was so heart warming.

      I hate how the creators are giving so much [Insert ship here] moments instead of quality moments like Marinette and Gina bonding more than I expected. The predominance of love and affection between the Dupain-Cheng moments should have been higher. But anyway, this image made me so happy. 500px

        Loading editor
    • Chi of Darkness wrote:
      I found Marinette mean with her grandma that she hasn't seen in god knows how long who just wanted to be there for her birthday, lying to her the entire time, then ditching her to go to "the dentis"t with her friend when she knows it will be a surprise party, she could have invited her. Althought the grandma's gifts were not really that great, but it's the thought that counts. Still, Marinette turned 14, couldn't she have actually be upfront with her granny and tell her that she didn't like candies and that all the things they did, it was too childish for her? They could have try more fun things, her grandma rides a motorcycle for the world's sake, she would have understand, after all it's her birthday and her grandma just wanted some quality time with her, making her happy is all what she wanted. And her not listening to Tikki because of her phone. Jeez, when people make you a surprise party, you must have the decendy to pretend like if you knew nothing, not just make everyone panick as soon as you see them on purpose, not cool Marinette. Also that part where Rose said Marinette never lied to them is pure irony. I would have liked to see Chat Noir as a fairy, he totally has the angel look, he just miss the wings and the halo.

      how is she being mean when marinette tried everything to please her grandmother? plus, tom tried several times to tell the grandmother about the surprise party, but she didn't want to listen. i do understand marinette a bit, i also rarely see my grandmother, who apparently thinks i'm still 10 haha, and everytime i see her, just like marinette, i try everything to humor her, eventhough i am not entirely happy with some of the activities. you say marinette should have the decency to pretend to know nothing about the party, but then again that marinette should invite der grandmother. she can hardly just take her grandmother to a "dentist" appointment, so whatever she would have done would be wrong anyways.

      i also think that it's wrong of her to not listen to tikki, but she is excited about her birthday party, so her actions seems pretty realistic for a 13/14y old girl :)

        Loading editor
    • Xoxoxoooo wrote:

      how is she being mean when marinette tried everything to please her grandmother? plus, tom tried several times to tell the grandmother about the surprise party, but she didn't want to listen. i do understand marinette a bit, i also rarely see my grandmother, who apparently thinks i'm still 10 haha, and everytime i see her, just like marinette, i try everything to humor her, eventhough i am not entirely happy with some of the activities. you say marinette should have the decency to pretend to know nothing about the party, but then again that marinette should invite der grandmother. she can hardly just take her grandmother to a "dentist" appointment, so whatever she would have done would be wrong anyways.

      i also think that it's wrong of her to not listen to tikki, but she is excited about her birthday party, so her actions seems pretty realistic for a 13/14y old girl :)

      Speaking as someone who make a living working with 13/14 year old kids, I can confirm that at that age, they really don't think too much about others's feelings and make a lot of mistakes. they want to be treated like adults for somet hings and kids for others. They're still trying to figure themselves out, and I think Tikki's doing more harm than good by being so pushy with Marinette. I think being Ladybug and keeping her an absolute mystery, even from Cat Noir, might unknowingly stress Marinette out, and it affects her normal life and makes her irrational.

      I will say though that while I haven't seen the episode myself, Marinette doesn't sound that bad (it sounds like she was stuck between a rock and a hard place), but I'll also say that she has been getting a little meaner as the show goes on. Like she's ridiculously cold to Cat Noir in "Prime Queen". It's like every time she "learns a lesson", she doubles down on her bad behaviour, like she doesn't actually think she was ever wrong. It's frustrating and I hope it's intentional and not just her forgetting she already learnt that lesson or a fault in the writing. I like Marinette, but I think she's been making a lot of bad choices that aren't getting addressed and I think she's unnecesarily mean at times to the people who love her most.

        Loading editor
    • Okay, I know that they're still nowhere near being friends, but I kinda wanted to see Chloe in this episode

        Loading editor
    • Thearomalady wrote:
      I like Marinette, but I think she's been making a lot of bad choices that aren't getting addressed and I think she's unnecesarily mean at times to the people who love her most.

      I feel like recently at the end of an episode all we can do is question Marinette's behaviour. I completely agree with you on that, I personally think it is her age and naivety that let her down. Hopefully over season 2 she will improve as a character, maybe with help of people close to her. Then again, at least we can point out flaws in her, so she isn't this "Mary-Sue" heroine that people keep making her out to be.

        Loading editor
    • Allya373 wrote:
      Okay, I know that they're still nowhere near being friends, but I kinda wanted to see Chloe in this episode

      And Sabrina.

        Loading editor
    • Ladybug'sAndCatNoir'sSexyBodies1234 wrote:
      I hate how the creators are giving so much [Insert ship here] moments instead of quality moments like Marinette and Gina bonding more than I expected.

      I do love those moments between the family, but I can't say I agree with you about hating the ship moments. A lot of people like myself watch the show to see the progression of the Love Square, it's one of the things that made the show so unique for me. The show is largely based around the Love Square arc at the moment, I think they are just hyping the fans up for the reveal.

      I must admit the bonding scenes warmed my heart, I just hope we see a return of Gina.

        Loading editor
    • Ladybug'sAndCatNoir'sSexyBodies1234 wrote:
      Allya373 wrote:
      Okay, I know that they're still nowhere near being friends, but I kinda wanted to see Chloe in this episode
      And Sabrina.

      yeah, we haven't seen much of her either. i'm glad the others were there, tho

        Loading editor
    • Slabcity wrote:
      Ladybug'sAndCatNoir'sSexyBodies1234 wrote:
      I hate how the creators are giving so much [Insert ship here] moments instead of quality moments like Marinette and Gina bonding more than I expected.
      I do love those moments between the family, but I can't say I agree with you about hating the ship moments. A lot of people like myself watch the show to see the progression of the Love Square, it's one of the things that made the show so unique for me. The show is largely based around the Love Square arc at the moment, I think they are just hyping the fans up for the reveal.

      I must admit the bonding scenes warmed my heart, I just hope we see a return of Gina.

      Don't get me wrong. I adore the love square and the ships. Adrienette and Lady Noir are my favorite ships. But sometimes, I feel like there's too much of it nowadays and there isn't actual character development. I wanted to see The Dupain-Cheng family bond and interact more in The Befana. But don't worry, I love the ships and I can't wait to see them develop and progress over the seasons. :)

        Loading editor
    • Slabcity wrote:

      I feel like recently at the end of an episode all we can do is question Marinette's behaviour. I completely agree with you on that, I personally think it is her age and naivety that let her down. Hopefully over season 2 she will improve as a character, maybe with help of people close to her. Then again, at least we can point out flaws in her, so she isn't this "Mary-Sue" heroine that people keep making her out to be.

      I don't know if she's considered a Mary Sue, because she's far from perfect and her attitude is usually called out, the problem is she doesn't change it. In "Prime Queen" she made the same argument she does in "Volpina" because she balks at the idea of not being in total control, where she refuses to do something because "it might be a trap so I'm going to do it my own way even if it's inconvenient", and she makes the same judgement error in "Antibug", but it was handled most clumsily. I think that dislike of not being in control may have been why she brushed Gina off like she did, even though her dislike of not being in control is usually a Ladybug thing.

      I adore Tikki, I really do, but think she's part of why Marinette acts like she does now. I even think Tikki is part of why Marinette acts like she does towards Adrien (her deep jealousy and the like), since Tikki seems to be largely to blame for Ladybug's increasing coldness to Cat Noir. Tikki I think stresses Marinette out, though neither of them realise it.

        Loading editor
    • Ladybug'sAndCatNoir'sSexyBodies1234 wrote:

      Don't get me wrong. I adore the love square and the ships. Adrienette and Lady Noir are my favorite ships. But sometimes, I feel like there's too much of it nowadays and there isn't actual character development. I wanted to see The Dupain-Cheng family bond and interact more in The Befana. But don't worry, I love the ships and I can't wait to see them develop and progress over the seasons. :)

      I agree with you there! Sorry to assume your thoughts on the ships. I hope for a future episode to see the dynamic of Marinette's family, as we know more about Adrien's than we do Marinette's. I would like her family to be tied to the plot as well in some way.

        Loading editor
    • Thearomalady wrote:
      Slabcity wrote:

      I feel like recently at the end of an episode all we can do is question Marinette's behaviour. I completely agree with you on that, I personally think it is her age and naivety that let her down. Hopefully over season 2 she will improve as a character, maybe with help of people close to her. Then again, at least we can point out flaws in her, so she isn't this "Mary-Sue" heroine that people keep making her out to be.

      I don't know if she's considered a Mary Sue, because she's far from perfect and her attitude is usually called out, the problem is she doesn't change it. In "Prime Queen" she made the same argument she does in "Volpina" because she balks at the idea of not being in total control, where she refuses to do something because "it might be a trap so I'm going to do it my own way even if it's inconvenient", and she makes the same judgement error in "Antibug", but it was handled most clumsily. I think that dislike of not being in control may have been why she brushed Gina off like she did, even though her dislike of not being in control is usually a Ladybug thing.

      I adore Tikki, I really do, but think she's part of why Marinette acts like she does now. I even think Tikki is part of why Marinette acts like she does towards Adrien (her deep jealousy and the like), since Tikki seems to be largely to blame for Ladybug's increasing coldness to Cat Noir. Tikki I think stresses Marinette out, though neither of them realise it.

      Geez, Tikki just protect Marinette, looking back at the previous Ladybugs, Hyppolita and Joan of Arc who ended horribly, I think she just want Marinette to live long. Joan of Arc died when she was 19, so. Plagg doesn't seem to care much, either because he knows it's useless in the end, or that it will come anyway that someone will know. 

        Loading editor
    • Anyone else find it funny that Befana all-out ignored HM and that he wasn't a huge part of the episode? Usually he gripes at the villain to hurry up, take the miraculous, etc. but this time he just told her to do it and she said ok and then didn't. She was so interested in getting back at Marinette that she really let Cat Noir go without a fight. And she was a strong villain, oddly enough. She didn't seem that strong, but she managed to corner the two of them. And then she let them go. Seriously, she let them go.

        Loading editor
    • Slabcity wrote:
      Ladybug'sAndCatNoir'sSexyBodies1234 wrote:

      Don't get me wrong. I adore the love square and the ships. Adrienette and Lady Noir are my favorite ships. But sometimes, I feel like there's too much of it nowadays and there isn't actual character development. I wanted to see The Dupain-Cheng family bond and interact more in The Befana. But don't worry, I love the ships and I can't wait to see them develop and progress over the seasons. :)

      I agree with you there! Sorry to assume your thoughts on the ships. I hope for a future episode to see the dynamic of Marinette's family, as we know more about Adrien's than we do Marinette's. I would like her family to be tied to the plot as well in some way.

      Marinette is curiously not connected to the plot of the main story. She's just another character. You could replace her with Mirielle and lose nothing aside from the love square, because Marinette is not at all involved personally in the plot. Adrien is, because his father is Hawk Moth. But Marinette is not. She's Ladybug, but it's Ladybug who's important, not Marinette. So Ladybug could be just about anyone else and the plot would not change. The plot has to adjust itself to include her, because right now, she's locked out of being personally important to the plot as it stands (the plot being Hawk Moth creating supervillains to take the Miraculouses, eventually with the help of Le Paon, who probably isn't related to Marinette). I think once Le Paon comes in, and the stakes go up, Marinette might have a chance to be personally and completely involved in the plot of the story, so that it's not just Ladybug who matters, but Marinette.

        Loading editor
    • Agreed. Marinette's really needs a dynamic plot line twist to the story. She really needs it as she's the protagonist. I think her maternal grandmother might have the Dragon Miraculous. That may help boost her storyline a bit more.

        Loading editor
    • Lightbearer Storycraft wrote:
      Anyone else find it funny that Befana all-out ignored HM and that he wasn't a huge part of the episode? Usually he gripes at the villain to hurry up, take the miraculous, etc. but this time he just told her to do it and she said ok and then didn't. She was so interested in getting back at Marinette that she really let Cat Noir go without a fight. And she was a strong villain, oddly enough. She didn't seem that strong, but she managed to corner the two of them. And then she let them go. Seriously, she let them go.

      Yeah, I found those scenes a bit awkard but a quite funny at the same time. 

        Loading editor
    • Chi of Darkness wrote:

      Geez, Tikki just protect Marinette, looking back at the previous Ladybugs, Hyppolita and Joan of Arc who ended horribly, I think she just want Marinette to live long. Joan of Arc died when she was 19, so. Plagg doesn't seem to care much, either because he knows it's useless in the end, or that it will come anyway that someone will know. 

      She does want that, but she also puts a lot of pressure on Marinette and it's hard to argue she's not the reason Marinette has put a wall between herself and Cat Noir. She's a superhero, not a star. She must remain a mystery. No one must know who she is, not her best friend, not her family, and not even Cat Noir, her partner whom she's meant to trust implicitly and who has proved time and again he's trustworthy. She gets upset when Marinette even vaguely puts her identity at risk or when it's even vaguely possible that someone might know she's Ladybug. Marinette, if you watch in Season 1, does not really like the idea of keeping her identity from Cat Noir. She sounds anything but okay with it in "Lady Wifi". Tikki's obsession with keeping Ladybug a total mystery is unhealthy, and it shows she doesn't trust anyone but her bearer. That cannot be good for Marinette. It just can't. We've seen no evidence Hawk Moth cares who Ladybug and Cat Noir are. He just wants the Miraculouses, and the best way for him to do that is to send out akumas, even if he does know who they are, because it gets them together in one place and it means he doesn't need to reveal his identity.

      I like Tikki. I like Marinette. But I think Tikki is causing a lot of problems without realising it. Someone could make a joke that Marinette is Ladybug an Tikki would panic. People are welcome to disagree with me, but I personally find that Tikki overdoes it and is never calm about it. Tikki's never even that upset when people might find out Tikki herself exists, which according to Plagg is a very bad thing.

        Loading editor
    • Lightbearer Storycraft wrote:
      Anyone else find it funny that Befana all-out ignored HM and that he wasn't a huge part of the episode? Usually he gripes at the villain to hurry up, take the miraculous, etc. but this time he just told her to do it and she said ok and then didn't. She was so interested in getting back at Marinette that she really let Cat Noir go without a fight. And she was a strong villain, oddly enough. She didn't seem that strong, but she managed to corner the two of them. And then she let them go. Seriously, she let them go.

      It was worth seeing Befana knock that smug smirk off his face by making him say "Please?" like any good grandmother would.

        Loading editor
    • Honestly, I'm really excited to see if the gift Tikki gave Marinette is what gives her more power or something like that. Judging by Tikki's reaction, it seems like it's really important to the Kwamis at least

        Loading editor
    • DarkClaw3 wrote:
      I watched a teaser for the episode, and there is definitely at least one MariChat moment. It also seems that Benfa's power is to shoot people using her flintlock pisotol thing, which turns them into wierd gargoyle/angle things under her control. That, and she has a flying motorcycle. 

      I need to know what set of circumstances resulted in this. 

      Me too. I mean, like, WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON???

        Loading editor
    • WHY IS NO ONE GUSHING OVER ADRIEN GRINING AT THE CHARM MARINETTE GAVE HIM?!!!!  

      Sorry, but you can tell what excited me the most. He says the charm really works. He has to know something. All the shipping that has happened over these four episodes. Its a FLIRTATIONSHIP!  One of them is about to come clean or something. 

      Or as Chat Noir, Adrien always has the lucky charm on him, andd it has saved in in some way we are unaware of. Like always have a token of friendship helping when he gets controled by an akuma or something...?  There is more to this that what meets the eye and I want to know

        Loading editor
    • Friendly reminder that, if you watched the episode through certain means, always watch the episode when it airs where you live~

      Well, Befana was...something. The scenes where it was comparing Marinette's birthday to Befana in her room almost hit me right in the feels.

      Now into Befana and her power. First of all, "Befana" actually comes from a folklore. To put it simply, the three wise men came to her house looking for baby Jesus. Don't wanna get too deep in religion here, but to put it simply, Christimas comes from christianity and Befana's design looks a lot like Santa Claws'. I like how they did that!

      Now lets look at Befana's powers, how it would be usefull if you in real life had it and if she actually used it for the good. Befana's powers are actually VERY good. Although most people, if given Befana's powers would't get the floating motorbike since it is an akumatized form of her motorbike, they would still get the gun and something to put the bullets on. Befana's powers are actually two- turning people into stone and turning them into angel servants. Personally, if I did get her powers, I'd really only use the angel thing. Petryfing criminals is good, but its not better than forcefully making them good and under your servitude.

      By the way, is everyone going to ignore Tikki's gift? It looks fairly important...

        Loading editor
    • CalimTheCrystalGem wrote:
      Friendly reminder that, if you watched the episode through certain means, always watch the episode when it airs where you live~

      Well, Befana was...something. The scenes where it was comparing Marinette's birthday to Befana in her room almost hit me right in the feels.

      Now into Befana and her power. First of all, "Befana" actually comes from a folklore. To put it simply, the three wise men came to her house looking for baby Jesus. Don't wanna get too deep in religion here, but to put it simply, Christimas comes from christianity and Befana's design looks a lot like Santa Claws'. I like how they did that!

      Now lets look at Befana's powers, how it would be usefull if you in real life had it and if she actually used it for the good. Befana's powers are actually VERY good. Although most people, if given Befana's powers would't get the floating motorbike since it is an akumatized form of her motorbike, they would still get the gun and something to put the bullets on. Befana's powers are actually two- turning people into stone and turning them into angel servants. Personally, if I did get her powers, I'd really only use the angel thing. Petryfing criminals is good, but its not better than forcefully making them good and under your servitude.

      By the way, is everyone going to ignore Tikki's gift? It looks fairly important...

      People've mentioned her gift, yeah. I haven't seen the episode because I don't speak nor understand French. Alas.

      We've now had three birthday akumatisations, right? Nino, Alix, and Gina? What's with the four-letter names? We also had the friend, family and birthday girl akumatised now. 

        Loading editor
    • Um, so.... I did watch the episode finally and I really gotta ask: can Adrien hear Marinette talking to Tikki at the end of the episode? I mean, it looks like the bush in front of him should be in front of them, too, because the doors behind Marinette are visible behind the bush as is the tree Marinette is sitting by. You can't see the party in the shot with Adrien, because it would seem to be to Adrien's left, well out of sight. But you can see the end of the fence that could run behind Marinette.

      I still can't really tell if he knows or suspects Marinette is Ladybug or not. On the one hand, he's tense when opening the broom closet, but on the other, he's not remotely surprised to know Marinette's not there when Ladybug tells him she's "safe". Considering what a good actor Cat Noir is when it comes to hiding his identity, he could be acting for Befana when he's peeking in the broom cupboard, looking tense, especially considering how calm he is after. He's not so much relieved as he is his normal self. This wouldn't matter if this episode didn't contain him doing that twice and him already having failed to express the right emotion for the circumstances in the past regarding Marinette (the first was failing to show concern in "Horrificator" regardless of the dub, and in here, his tone anad body language never convey relief). Both times it's like he already knows she's perfectly safe.

      Also, Hawk Moth having to say "please" is the funniest thing in either season and I found Kim and Ivan lifting up Marinette to blow out her candles a mix of funny and adorable. Adrien's bracelet is charming, especiallt since apparently he has the artistic skill of a kindergartener.

        Loading editor
    • Thearomalady wrote:
      Um, so.... I did watch the episode finally and I really gotta ask: can Adrien hear Marinette talking to Tikki at the end of the episode? I mean, it looks like the bush in front of him should be in front of them, too, because the doors behind Marinette are visible behind the bush as is the tree Marinette is sitting by. You can't see the party in the shot with Adrien, because it would seem to be to Adrien's left, well out of sight. But you can see the end of the fence that could run behind Marinette.

      I still can't really tell if he knows or suspects Marinette is Ladybug or not. On the one hand, he's tense when opening the broom closet, but on the other, he's not remotely surprised to know Marinette's not there when Ladybug tells him she's "safe". Considering what a good actor Cat Noir is when it comes to hiding his identity, he could be acting for Befana when he's peeking in the broom cupboard, looking tense, especially considering how calm he is after. He's not so much relieved as he is his normal self. This wouldn't matter if this episode didn't contain him doing that twice and him already having failed to express the right emotion for the circumstances in the past regarding Marinette (the first was failing to show concern in "Horrificator" regardless of the dub, and in here, his tone anad body language never convey relief). Both times it's like he already knows she's perfectly safe.

      Also, Hawk Moth having to say "please" is the funniest thing in either season and I found Kim and Ivan lifting up Marinette to blow out her candles a mix of funny and adorable. Adrien's bracelet is charming, especiallt since apparently he has the artistic skill of a kindergartener.

      i don't think he was able to hear her, because then we would get some kind of reaction imo.

      i'm super curious and confused as well. there are some episodes where i thought he clearly suspects her. and especially this season, ladybug slips all the time. but then again, he keeps saying that she is "just a friend".

        Loading editor
    • Thearomalady wrote:
      CalimTheCrystalGem wrote:
      Friendly reminder that, if you watched the episode through certain means, always watch the episode when it airs where you live~

      Well, Befana was...something. The scenes where it was comparing Marinette's birthday to Befana in her room almost hit me right in the feels.

      Now into Befana and her power. First of all, "Befana" actually comes from a folklore. To put it simply, the three wise men came to her house looking for baby Jesus. Don't wanna get too deep in religion here, but to put it simply, Christimas comes from christianity and Befana's design looks a lot like Santa Claws'. I like how they did that!

      Now lets look at Befana's powers, how it would be usefull if you in real life had it and if she actually used it for the good. Befana's powers are actually VERY good. Although most people, if given Befana's powers would't get the floating motorbike since it is an akumatized form of her motorbike, they would still get the gun and something to put the bullets on. Befana's powers are actually two- turning people into stone and turning them into angel servants. Personally, if I did get her powers, I'd really only use the angel thing. Petryfing criminals is good, but its not better than forcefully making them good and under your servitude.

      By the way, is everyone going to ignore Tikki's gift? It looks fairly important...

      People've mentioned her gift, yeah. I haven't seen the episode because I don't speak nor understand French. Alas.

      We've now had three birthday akumatisations, right? Nino, Alix, and Gina? What's with the four-letter names? We also had the friend, family and birthday girl akumatised now. 

      Don't forget Nath!

        Loading editor
    • Xoxoxoooo wrote:

      i don't think he was able to hear her, because then we would get some kind of reaction imo.

      i'm super curious and confused as well. there are some episodes where i thought he clearly suspects her. and especially this season, ladybug slips all the time. but then again, he keeps saying that she is "just a friend".

      Well, if he already knows, there is no need for a reaction, or his smile is the reaction.

      Well, she is "just a friend" regardless of if she's Ladybug or Marinette.

        Loading editor
    • Could someone provide me with a link to the full English dub, please? Thank you in advance~

        Loading editor
    • I dunno if the English dub is out yet...

        Loading editor
    • TheNorthernLightss wrote:
      Could someone provide me with a link to the full English dub, please? Thank you in advance~

      There is no English dub yet and we cannot link here except to official sources in any case So unless you live in the country it came out in, you wouldn't be able to see it legally. Please do not ask for links. If there are legal links, I think someone will provide them.

        Loading editor
    • Alright, I didn't know. Sorry :'D

        Loading editor
    • TheNorthernLightss wrote:
      Alright, I didn't know. Sorry :'D

      Well, Ii figured, but I'm just letting you know. If I came off as mean, I apologise.

        Loading editor
    • Thearomalady wrote:
      TheNorthernLightss wrote:
      Alright, I didn't know. Sorry :'D
      Well, Ii figured, but I'm just letting you know. If I came off as mean, I apologise.

      Don't worry about it, it's alright :)

        Loading editor
    • So the episode is finally out in English, yay.

      Hm, one change that bothered me was how in French, according to what little subtitles I got, was Chat Noir says Marinette "seems like a nice girl" but in English, Cat Noir says she "seems like a cool girl". Weird change, I think. What was wrong with calling her nice?

      Still loving the scene where Hawk Moth is made to say "please", but his design still looks super off this season, cuz his outfit is so shiny.

        Loading editor
    • I finally watched this episode! Production-wise, it's definitely obvious this is the new animation studio, which was confirmed afterwards anyway. The lighting and textures are off in many instances, though I appreciate some good details like hair texturing (when it wasn't missing like with Alix in one scene). However, while this season already deserves high regard for the improvement in action scenes, the better model for the Eiffel Tower, including its inside levels, made for an excellent battle between the heroes and Befana. The Eiffel Tower is one of the overused fight locations, but the updates to it, along with great shots and choreography, made it feel alive and epic in a new, awesome way. We know we're getting new locations this season, which I'm eager to see soon, but I'm grateful for the improvements on familiar settings to make them feel like stagnant leftovers from last season.

      With Marinette and Gina, I'd say both are at fault in what became a misunderstanding of one another's feeling. I can't speak for the French version currently, but in the English version, Gina is very abrasive and quick to assume things without confirmation. She brushed off the warning signs about Marinette's surprise party, and she quickly concluded that Marinette's main reason for leaving her was because she didn't want to hang out with her, part of the truth but not the entirety of the matter. In Marinette's case, she meant well, but she got too hung up in the excitement of the surprise party that she missed Tikki and Gina's desires to bond with her, she came off as insensitive with the candies when she was really to not upset her grandmother, and her explanation to Gina for leaving her came off poorly, even though Marinette realized it by the end. This felt like natural mistakes and flaws by the two relatives, and I appreciate both make things up with each other, along with Marinette making things up with Tikki, at the end of the episode. I feel it's a fair akumatization cause where both were are fault and miscommunication and unintentional insensitivity from both created the dilemma.

      Also, while I know others have already pointed it out, this episode – and this season as a whole, really – is amazing with Marinette's classmates. Alya's bravery wasn't surprising, as she's already shown herself to be a wonderful helper and supporter in the past, but I was impressed by Kim's willingness to risk getting close to Befana to snatch her weapon while Alya sacrificed herself by being a distraction. I thought Kim was good last season, but this episode and "Despair Bear" are making me like him more bit by bit. The other students' sacrifice to try and stop Befana during that moment were wonderful, even less outspoken characters Juleka and Max defending their friend. The little moments are wonderful too, like Mylène's gift to Marinette, Kim and Ivan lifting Marinette to blow out candles, and Nino's startled reaction to Marinette joining his listening. I was afraid that these guys were going to barely shine in Season 2 because they aren't likely to be akumatized again, but I'm happy that I'm being proven wrong with minor but notable moments like in this episode and bigger moments for particular students that relate more to the villain in "Robostus".

      Yeah, I like this one. The akumatization cause could've benefited from better writing or situation setup, but it doesn't bother me much overall, and I enjoyed the moments with the characters throughout the episode, from Marinette's parents to very-probably future akumatized victim André (though seriously, this show needs to calm down with the same name instances; it's getting confusing!). For being a character-focused episode, it holds up well, and I'm glad that an episode about Marinette's birthday did a good job being its own enjoyable event.

        Loading editor
    • Ah now you mention it, Kim has been getting a fair amount of moments to shine. I would say he probably gets as much screentime as Nino does, haha. Which is more a jab at how little Nino appears but still. I like Kim, so I'm glad to see more of him. And the rest of the class.

      Gina is absolutely delightful, I think. I would love to see more of her. I kinda enjoy how out-of-touch she is, and how she and Marinette reconciled at the end. I also love the implication it was Gina who got Marinette into sewing- "I've been sewing since your last visit".

      Cat Noir's singing still sucks, haha. I hope they fix that or someone points out in the English dub that he's not the best singer. I continue to love the chemistry between him and Ladybug/Marinette and her chemistry with Adrien/Cat Noir. the fact that their chemistry is getting better makes me think/hope one of them is going to figure the other's identity out, if Adrien doesn't already know. Which, there are signs and yet, there are times when he seems to have no clue, like all the times he says Marinette is "just a friend" or how he panics about Befana going to the Eiffel Tower, but then he does things like he did in "Horrificator", where he seems eager to kiss Marinette and the tone of his voice and his wolfish grin when asking where Marinette is. Or in this episode, where it appears he is standing within earshot of her and Tikki talking. There's a shrub between them, but it's pretty clear the wall you can see is the one behind Marinette and he should be able to hear her, with how she's not bothering to keep her voice down and how he is oddly not at the party looking at the lucky charm he gave her, but in the copse of trees where she is.

      The fact that she slips up and nearly tells Cat Noir exactly where Marinette is is also very interesting. She's getting too comfortable with him, I think. Which makes me wonder if "Prime Queen" doesn't happen after this one, because that one would have her rigidly snapping back into being abrasive with him, maybe as a result of being too comfortable with him.

      Need more of Hawk Moth getting soundly owned by his victims. I love how he looks straight at the camera in surprise, like eyebrows raised and everything, grumpily sighs, and then mumbles "... Please" with like, a little kid's pout. It's the mumble and the hunched shoulders that sell the bit so well. Well, and the fact that it's Gabriel Agreste.

        Loading editor
    • Is it me or does Gina's VA sounds very similar like to her French one?

        Loading editor
    • Slabcity wrote:
      The charm Tikki got for Marinette is one half of the Yin Yang. I know that the Ladybug and Chat Noir Miraculouses are also Yin and Yang, or at least compared to that. I'm wondering if Plagg will also give Adrien a charm in the same shape - the other half on the Yin Yang. Perhaps if you put the charms togther that is how you obtain the "god-like power" or maybe something else happens. That's just my take from what I've seen of the episode so far. I'll need to watch it subbed before I can make any more theories.

      Nope. Plagg's probably too focused on camembert to bother collecting cat hair. Adrien already had a birthday episode after becoming Cat Noir and Plagg made no mention of giving Adrien a gift like that.

        Loading editor
    • Once again, Marinette not letting Cat Noir know she's Ladybug affects the plot.

      It's a good thing Chloé and Sabrina weren't invited. La Befana wouldn't need to turn them into angels.

      My only disappointment is Cat Noir not making jokes about La Befana working outside Christmas season.

      Hawk Moth having to say "please" was hilarious!

        Loading editor
    • BelieveInMagic814 wrote:
      Is it me or does Gina's VA sounds very similar like to her French one?

      Her voice and Italian accent is so good on both versions and yes, their voice does sound similar.

        Loading editor
    • HOLD UP! Marinette's grandmother is Italian?! Tom is half-Italian?! Marinette is...a quarter Italian?! (Did that even make any sense?) HOW DID I NOT HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OF HIS BEFORE?!

        Loading editor
    • That technically means Marinette is quarter French, Chinese and Italian.

        Loading editor
    • I think she’s half Chinese, quarter French, quarter Italian or half-Italian half-Chinese.

        Loading editor
    • I wonder how good her Italian is.

        Loading editor
    • Considering she doesn't know a word of Chinese, I'm gonna say non-existent.. assuming you're talking about Marinette lol

        Loading editor
    • Just because she didn't bother learning Chinese until her Chinese granduncle showed up, it doesn't mean the same applies for her grandmother's language.

        Loading editor
    • True, but it seems more likely that she would know Chinese, if anything. Her mum's Chinese, so..

      But yeah, there's really no solid proof I guess.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message