|“||I think I'm higher on the food chain.||”|
Otis Césaire is a zookeeper at Ménagerie du Jardin des Plantes and the father of Alya, Ella, Etta, and an unnamed child. In "Animan", as a result of Kim's mockery, he is infected with an akuma by Hawk Moth and becomes Animan, a shape-shifting supervillain.
Otis is a plump man with a light brown skin tone. He has short brown hair with a full beard and sideburns.
He rests glasses with large black frames on his forehead, but never wears them. He appears to be wearing a Hawaiian shirt that is pale yellow with pale pink palm designs. On his left wrist he wears a bracelet that features the tooth of an unknown animal. He also wears pale green jeans and brown work shoes.
Animan can transform into any animal he chooses, but will retain purple glowing eyes and the akumatized bracelet on his wrist. The most common form he takes is that of a black panther.
Otis is very serious about his job as a zookeeper, and he feels that the animals there deserve respect. He doesn't like it when someone insults him and/or the animals.
As Animan, he supports the animals, setting them free. He goes for revenge against Kim for making fun of him and the zoo's new panther. Cleverly, Animan chooses the animals he shape-shifts into to help him succeed, whether to get Kim or defeat Ladybug and Cat Noir.
As a civilian
As a zookeeper, Otis is trained to work with and take care of a wide variety of animals, like panthers.
Animan has the ability to shape-shift into any animal he desires, even those that are extinct. In addition to shape-shifting, he has the ability to clearly communicate with other animals. However, transforming too often between forms wears him out.
= Gender Unknown
- It is currently uncertain which twin is Ella and which twin is Etta. The images associated with each twin's name are guesses not to be taken as fact.
- The unnamed sibling's age is unknown, like if they are older than some or all of their siblings.
- All of the Césaire's first names are based on jazz singers.
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Absent|
|1. "The Bubbler":||Absent||14. "Princess Fragrance":||Absent|
|2. "Mr. Pigeon":||Absent||15. "Ladybug & Cat Noir (Origins - Part 1)":||Absent|
|3. "Stormy Weather":||Absent||16. "Stoneheart (Origins - Part 2)":||Absent|
|4. "Timebreaker":||Absent||17. "Animan":||Appears|
|5. "Copycat":||Absent||18. "Simon Says":||Absent|
|6. "The Pharaoh":||Absent||19. "Pixelator":||Absent|
|7. "Lady Wifi":||Absent||20. "Guitar Villain":||Absent|
|8. "The Evillustrator":||Absent||21. "Kung Food":||Absent|
|9. "Rogercop":||Absent||22. "Gamer":||Absent|
|10. "Dark Cupid":||Absent||23. "Reflekta":||Absent|
|11. "Horrificator":||Absent||24. "The Puppeteer":||Absent|
|12. "Darkblade":||Absent||25. "Antibug":||Absent|
|13. "The Mime":||Absent||26. "Volpina":||Absent|
|"A Christmas Special":||Appears||"The Chinese Legend":||Unknown|
|"Ladybug in Halloween":||Unknown||"Ladybug in New York City":||Unknown|
- Otis' name is a reference to Otis Redding, just as the rest of her family's names are references to jazz singers.
- His name is never mentioned in "Animan".
- Even though his name has been confirmed to be Otis Césaire, his name tag reads "Otis R." in the aforementioned episode.
- Along with Wang Cheng and Lila Rossi, Otis is one of three characters who gets akumatized but does not appear in the theme song. However, he does make an appearance in the theme song animatic.
- When asked what Otis' relationship is to Alya's family, Thomas Astruc jokingly replied that he is "Alya's younger brother."
- As Animan, Otis' powers and limitations are identical to that of the Teen Titans member Beast Boy from the DC Comics. Both have the ability to shapeshift into any animal including insects and extinct species (such as a T-Rex), both retain their intelligence and ability to speak human language while in animal form (while still being able to make appropriate animal sounds if they wish to), and both fatigue quickly when switching between several animal forms in a very short period of time.
- Animan's name also appears to be an inversion of the title "Animal Man", which is also the name of another DC Comics superhero.
Click here to view the gallery.