|This article is about the character. You may be looking for the TV series' art director.|
|“||You? You're Marinette! You're beautiful and sweet and... you're perfect and I could never hurt you!||”|
—Evillustrator, "The Evillustrator"
Nathaniel Kurtzberg, also called Nathan or Nath, is a student in Miss Bustier's class at Collège Françoise Dupont. In "The Evillustrator", when Chloé mocks his art and his crush on Marinette, he is infected with an akuma by Hawk Moth and becomes the Evillustrator, an artistic supervillain whose drawings become real.
Nathaniel is fairly short with turquoise eyes and messy red orange hair. He has long bangs that are brushed to the left side of his face.
He wears a red t-shirt with a black design on the front. Over his shirt, he wears a gray dress jacket with a folded collar, folded sleeves, and side pockets. He wears purple jeans that are rolled up at the bottom, and his shoes are gray with white lace and a white section where his toes would be.
As the Evillustrator
The Evillustrator's skin is light purple, and his hair is brushed back while colored orange with purple tips. On his head he has a dark purple beret, and on his face, he has a dark purple butterfly-shaped mask. He wears a white suit with dark purple stripes and solid dark purple legs that become red halfway down his lower legs. On his chest, there is a black circle with smaller red, yellow, and blue circles inside. His collar is swan-necked, with a red collar underneath. A black drawing tablet is attached to the back of his right forearm. His pen is silver towards the tip, with the end being black with a red stripe in the middle.
Nathaniel is imaginative and artistic. An introverted soul, he is quiet and shy in class, and seems to be quite easily lost in his fantasies, such as when he is daydreaming about his crush, Marinette. In his drawings, he creates "Super Nathan", a courageous superhero version of himself, as a way to imagine himself as being more brash and outgoing. Nathaniel can be rather observant about details around him, including goo left by Horrificator in the the episode of the same name and the details of Chloé's bracelet in "Rogercop". Afraid of being judged, he prefers to be secretive about his art, and if he is accused of something, he is nervous, and, if the accusations are true, deeply embarrassed. He is easily terrified in some scary or stressful situations, as in "Horrificator", but in other situations, he is willing to stand up for himself, such as when others accuse him of stealing Chloé's bracelet.
As the Evillustrator, who is based on "Super Nathan", he is more confident and direct, such as when he literally barged into Marinette's bedroom, asking her out to celebrate his birthday with him. Even when akumatized, he still genuinely cares for her, promising her that he would stop attacking Chloé and even defying Hawk Moth for a while when his date was at stake. However, he is furious when being humiliated or tricked and he can be short-tempered and reckless. His response to Marinette betraying him was telling her that she is just like Chloé, and he tries to trap her and Cat Noir on a boat with a huge leak before leaving to continue attacking Chloé.
As a civilian
Nathaniel is an artist, skilled in drawing pictures with pencil, pen, and marker, and creating digital arts on his tablet. He is good at drawing still life, such as Chloé's bracelet, and drawing comics with human figures and costume designs. In "Zombizou", Nathaniel is also shown to be talented in painting, as he made a one for Caline Bustier for her birthday.
In his titular episode, Nathaniel as Evillustrator is shown "drawing" musical notes to create a melody, suggesting he has some musical knowledge or talent as well.
As the Evillustrator
The Evillustrator has the power to draw whatever he wants onto his drawing tablet to make it appear and exist in real life. The objects he creates can levitate and move freely in the air. He can also erase objects, both real-life objects or previous drawings, such as erasing a hole into a wall. However, in order to draw, the Evillustrator needs light, so in darkness, he is unable to use his powers.
Additionally, the Evillustrator is supernaturally agile, being able to leap high and far distances.
Nathaniel is relieved to know that Ladybug is around to save the day. After his time as the Evillustrator, in his sketchbook, he has drawn a comic book cover that features Ladybug with hearts drawn in red at the bottom of the page, possibly implying he now has romantic feelings for her.
Like most people, Nathaniel dislikes Chloé for being a self-absorbed, mean-spirited person. He is horrified when she grabs his sketchbook from the floor, and, seeing his drawing of himself and Marinette, reveals his crush on her to the entire class. He also doesn't like how Chloé bothers Marinette; so as Evillustrator, he draws a giant hairdryer to blow her away. At first promising Marinette that he wouldn't attack Chloé again, he changes his mind after Marinette breaks his heart, and goes to destroy Chloé after all.
Alix appears to be close friends with Nathaniel. He approaches her for comfort and advice during Reverser.
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "The Bubbler":||Background||14. "Princess Fragrance":||Background|
|2. "Mr. Pigeon":||Background||15. "Ladybug & Cat Noir":||Background|
|3. "Stormy Weather":||Absent||16. "Stoneheart":||Background|
|4. "Timebreaker":||Appears||17. "Animan":||Absent|
|5. "Copycat":||Background||18. "Simon Says":||Absent|
|6. "The Pharaoh":||Absent||19. "Pixelator":||Absent|
|7. "Lady Wifi":||Background||20. "Guitar Villain":||Absent|
|8. "The Evillustrator":||Appears||21. "Kung Food":||Absent|
|9. "Rogercop":||Appears||22. "Gamer":||Background|
|10. "Dark Cupid":||Background||23. "Reflekta":||Background|
|11. "Horrificator":||Appears||24. "The Puppeteer":||Appears|
|12. "Darkblade":||Appears||25. "Antibug":||Background|
|13. "The Mime":||Absent||26. "Volpina":||Absent|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "A Christmas Special":||Absent||?. "Zombizou":||Appears|
|2. "The Collector":||Absent||?. "Syren":||Absent|
|3. "Prime Queen":||Absent||?. "Frightningale":||Pictured|
|4. "Despair Bear":||Appears||?. "Troublemaker":||Pictured|
|5. "Riposte":||Absent||?. "Reverser":||Appears|
|6. "Befana":||Appears||?. "Anansi":||Absent|
|7. "Robostus":||Appears||?. "Sandboy":||Absent|
|8. "The Dark Owl":||Pictured||?. "Style Queen":||Background|
|9. "Gigantitan":||Absent||?. "Queen Wasp":||Background|
|10. "Glaciator":||Pictured||?. "Malediktator":||Appears|
|11. "Sapotis":||Absent||?. "Frozer":||Background|
|12. "Gorizilla":||Absent||?. "Catalyst":||Background|
|13. "Captain Hardrock":||Pictured||?. "Mayura":||Appears|
|"Marinette in Paris":||Background||"Marinette and Fashion":||Background|
|"Ladybug as seen by Adrien":||Absent||"Ladyblog":||Absent|
|"Adrien's Double Life":||Background||"Marinette and Alya":||Absent|
|"Marinette's Double Life":||Background||"Cat Noir as seen by Marinette":||Absent|
|"My Birthday Party":||Background||"Marinette and Adrien":||Background|
|Tales from Paris|
|1. "The Notebook":||Absent||4. "Busy Day":||Absent|
|2. "Inspiration":||Absent||5. "Homework Essay":||Absent|
|"Happy Birthday to You!":||Background||Miraculous Ladybug OVA:||Unknown|
Comics and books
|"Issue 1":||Absent||"Issue 5":||Unknown|
|"Issue 2":||Background||"Issue 6":||Unknown|
|"Issue 3":||Absent||"Issue 7":||Unknown|
|"Issue 4":||Absent||"Issue 8":||Unknown|
|Other Comics & Books|
|Ladybug Artbook:||Appears||Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug:||Unknown|
|Miraculous: Tales of Cat Noir:||Unknown||Tales of Miraculous:||Unknown|
|Super Lady Luck:||Absent||Miraculous Mission Ladybug:||Absent|
|Throwdown!:||Absent||Ladybug Contra os Vilões:||Absent|
|Miraculous Ladybug & Cat Noir:||Appears|
- Nathaniel's name is an homage to Nathanaël Bronn, the chief art director of the show.
- His last name Kurtzberg is a reference to the famous American comic book artist Jack Kirby, who was born as Jacob Kurtzberg.
- Nathaniel is Jewish, as supported by Thomas Astruc, as Jack Kirby was also Jewish.
- In the French dub of the show, the Evillustrator's name is Le Dessinateur, meaning "the illustrator," "the cartoonist," or "the designer."
- The Evillustrator tries to avoid following Hawk Moth's orders to get the Miraculouses. As punishment, Hawk Moth briefly controls his body and almost prevents him from preparing for his date with Marinette.
- This is one of two times Hawk Moth has used this ability, the other time being in "Pixelator".
- Nathaniel seems to be ambidextrous to some extent:
- When he wakes up at the beginning of "The Evillustrator", he is holding a pencil with his right hand and can be using his right hand in the background of many episodes and other media artworks.
- He is left-handed when he's the Evillustrator, as his drawing pad is on his right arm and he draws with his left hand.
- In "Robostus", Nathaniel is notably shown drawing a sketch of Markov with his left hand.
- His shirt symbol is based on the French rock band Magma. Both Thomas Astruc and Nathanaël Bronn are fans of the band.
- Nathaniel sits behind Ivan in class to draw without being noticed.
- He and Ivan are the only students in the class to not share their desks with another student.
- Nathaniel becomes the Evillustrator a second time when the Puppeteer transforms him using a doll in the episode "The Puppeteer".
- Nathaniel's drawing of Ladybug is actually an edited version of the issue #10 cover of The Mini Menace Ladybug, a series of fake comic covers drawn by Thomas Astruc.
- Since Nathaniel is Jewish and he is about 13-15 years old, he must have already done his Bar Mitzvah.
- In "Reverser", Nathaniel is a part of the school's Art Club along with Juleka, Rose, Alix and Marinette.
Click here to view the gallery.