|“||Many centuries ago, magic jewels bestowing extraordinary powers were created. These were... the Miraculous. Throughout history, heroes have used these jewels for the good of the human race.||”|
In order for a Miraculous holder to transform, they need to be wearing the Miraculous and the kwami connected to the Miraculous needs to be absorbed. Through transformation, they change into an animal-themed superhero, like a ladybug or a black cat. In these forms, the Miraculous holder gains enhanced physical abilities, a tool (like Ladybug's yo-yo), and a superpower (like Lucky Charm).
While they are almost invulnerable, they have to be wise about how they use their superpower. After it is used, the kwami loses the energy needed to keep the transformation, and in about five minutes, the Miraculous holder reverts back to normal while the kwami emerges from the Miraculous. If they want to transform back, they need to help their kwami get their energy back by feeding them.
Miraculous holders can use more than one Miraculous at the same time, which is why Hawk Moth desires both the Ladybug Miraculous and Cat Miraculous. Other than gaining more power, the result of doing this is unknown, like if the holder keeps one animal-themed form while still having access to the other power(s).
List of Miraculous holders
- Ancient Chinese Ladybug Miraculous holder (previously)
- Hippolyta (previously)
- Mudekudeku (previously)
- Ancient Egyptian Ladybug (around 5,000 years ago)
- Joan of Arc (about 600 years ago)
- Marinette Dupain-Cheng (currently)
- Master Fu (currently)
- Ancient Chinese Fox Miraculous holder (previously)
- Being kept by Master Fu
- Being kept by Master Fu
- Being kept by Gabriel Agreste
- The physical appearance of the Miraculous holders from their transformations seems to vary between the individual, the time, and the place.
- The poses made by Miraculous holders when they transform are purely symbolic.
- While transformed, holders cannot experience pain and have some level of invulnerability to physical damage, although the extent of this invulnerability is unclear.
- Some elements of the costumes of transformed Miraculous holders (such as Ladybug and Cat Noir's masks) cannot be removed.
- The transformation sequences are about sixteen seconds.
- Wielders can voluntarily detransform, even if the time limit has not been activated.
- Although there are cases where Miraculouses end up with holders that Master Fu wasn't involved with, such as Hawk Moth, Master Fu mentions in "Ladybug & Cat Noir (Origins - Part 1)" that he has personally made one mistake in a choice for a Miraculous holder whose identity is currently a mystery.
- There are upcoming special episodes that will explore past Miraculous holders, as confirmed by Jeremy Zag at a panel at the 2016 Los Angeles Comic Con.
- The official Miraculous Ladybug Tumblr blog responded to a question that past Cat Miraculous holders will be heard about in the future, along with more history of Miraculouses and presumably some of their holders in the series, comic books, and webisodes.
- Each Miraculous holder is able to choose their own name/superhero identity.