|“||Oh, Marinette. You really need to get your priorities in order.||”|
Marinette Dupain-Cheng is one of the main protagonists of Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir. Marinette is a student in Miss Bustier's class at Collège Françoise Dupont in Paris, France. She is also a budding fashion designer. With the Ladybug Miraculous, when inhabited by Tikki, Marinette transforms into the superhero Ladybug, gaining the power of good luck and creation.
She wears a dark gray blazer with rolled up sleeves. The inside of the blazer is lined in white with pink polka dots, and it has black trimming. Underneath, Marinette wears a white t-shirt with black stitching and a design below the collar. The design itself has pink flowers and black leaves. She wears rolled up pink pants with the inside lined in white with pink polka dots as well. Light pink ballet shoes with dark red soles adorn her feet. She also wears her earrings, which are black when not inhabited by Tikki. Often, she wears a light pink purse with a thin black strap over her right shoulder.
Ladybug wears a red skintight bodysuit with a black collar and black spots. She keeps her yo-yo around her hips with its string. On her face is a red mask with five black spots that are in a symmetrical design. Her earrings are red with five black spots in a quincunx pattern and the bands holding her hair back become red ribbons, resembling a ladybug's wings when it's flying.
A kind and clumsy girl, Marinette is also happy, cheerful, and generous. She loves fashion, her friends and family, and her crush Adrien. Despite her outgoing personality, she struggles with self-confidence and self-esteem. In a situation she deems important, like doing something for Adrien or losing a textbook that will expose her secret identity, she becomes very nervous and awkward, failing to keep calm and being quick to panic. She cares deeply for other people, and she usually puts their feelings and interests before her own, in some cases at a personal cost. Despite being genuinely kind, she does have her limits, such as in "The Evillustrator", when she gets irritated with Chloé to the point that, as Ladybug, she refuses to continue watching her to protect her. She can also act impulsively and irrationally at times, as shown when she tries to deflect the false accusation of "stealing" Chloé's bracelet onto others who are also innocent. She also expresses jealousy whenever other girls such as Chloé or Lila flirt with Adrien, sometimes causing her to act irrationally like abusing her powers as Ladybug to keep them away. Although she is absent-minded and acts before thinking at times, she is clever, a trait showed by the fact that she hid her signature in her bowler hat design when Chloé steals her design, thus exposing her. Furthermore, she is willing to do a number of risky tasks in order to protect her identity and image, such as stealing Adrien's phone in "Copycat" to erase an embarrassing message she accidentally left on it.
As Ladybug, she retains many of her alter ego's characteristics, but she is much stronger and her confidence, cleverness, and bravery are more prominent. Her quick-thinking, resourcefulness, and wit are more obvious, especially when she is figuring out how to utilize her Lucky Charm. As Ladybug, she strives to rescue everyone, including those akumatized by Hawk Moth. No matter the difficulty of her tasks, she does everything in her power to set things right while keeping up with her everyday responsibilities, like designing Jagged Stone's cover album. Like Cat Noir, she is also clever with her words and occasionally enjoys making puns.
As a civilianFor a list of things made by Marinette, see the List of Marinette's creations.
Marinette has talent in fashion design. She sketches ideas in a notebook, and she can sew by hand or with a machine. Using computer software to create graphic designs is also an ability Marinette possesses for creating things. She wears her own creations, such as her little purse, and she also makes things for others, like Adrien's scarf and the bakery's logo. Her skills in this field are exceptional for an amateur, such as when her pigeon-styled derby hat that she made is good enough to be recognized by a professional designer, Gabriel, despite the fact that she has never made one before. She is also very skilled at video games, easily beating Max and getting the highest score in the entire school.
Marinette has high stamina, endurance, and agility which was displayed in Timebreaker, even in her civilian form, as she runs long distances without stopping in several episodes. She is also quite stealthy, as seen when she sneaks up on Adrien and other people without being noticed.
Ladybug has much more enhanced skills, such as speed, agility, and strength, and she is almost invulnerable to physical damage. She has remarkable talent with wielding her yo-yo, like using it as a grappling hook, a rope to restrain others, a projectile, and if she spins fast enough, even a shield. After an evil akuma is released from its corrupted object, she can open her yo-yo and throw it to grab it, remove the energy that Hawk Moth charged it with, and release it as a normal butterfly.
Her special power, Lucky Charm, helps her by summoning an object that she uses to achieve her objective, it often being to stop a villain. However, it drains her power and reverts her back to Marinette shortly afterward, so she has to use it wisely. Once the villain is dealt with, Ladybug can throw her Lucky Charm object into the air and use the Miraculous Ladybug, which will make it revert back to energy and fix all of the damage done since the villain was created.
= Gender Unknown
- The lineage of Sabine Cheng's parents and uncle is uncertain.
- * = In China, wives do not usually take on their husband's surname, keeping their own. Children usually take the father's surname.
Marinette first meets Adrien when both are their alter egos in "Ladybug & Cat Noir". She gets a bit frustrated with him a few times, like when he carelessly uses his Cataclysm, but she likes him as a partner and works well with him. In the next episode, when she admits it's her fault for not purifying the akuma the first time, she is surprised and grateful for Cat Noir's encouragement. After saving the day, she doesn't react to Cat Noir's flirting and bids him farewell.
In the same episodes, she first hears about Adrien from Chloé, but she doesn't know who he is. The next day, she meets Adrien at school, but she immediately becomes disgusted of him when it looks like he put a piece of gum on her chair, unaware that Chloé placed it there and he was trying to remove it. She also learns that he is the son of Gabriel Agreste, her favorite fashion designer, from Alya, but it doesn't change her dislike of him. After school the following day, though, he finds her stuck at the school's gate because of the rain, so he manages to explain the situation with the gum and gives her his umbrella.
After that, Marinette develops a "secret" crush on Adrien. On the walls of her room and in several photo frames are pictures of him from various magazines. She often daydreams about him and longs to win his heart, but her awkwardness around him makes it a great challenge for her. However, Marinette has prioritized Adrien's happiness over her own. On Adrien's birthday in "The Bubbler", she accepts the fact that Adrien thinks her gift is from his father because he is so pleased to have gotten such a gift from him, deeming his happiness more important than hers. Gradually, in later episodes such as "Kung Food" and "Gamer", she becomes more comfortable and confident around him, being able to speak normally with him and express herself.
Her feelings for him can cause her issues. In "Volpina", she harshly lashes out at Lila and her deceitful nature as Ladybug and in front of Adrien, due to being jealous that Lila is trying to get Adrien's attention. Later, when she and Cat Noir are fighting Lila's akumatized form, Volpina, she nearly gives up her Miraculous when she believes that Lila has taken Adrien hostage and plans to drop him off the Eiffel Tower, not realizing that it's an illusion.
When it comes to Cat Noir, Ladybug sees him as a worthy partner in fighting crime and cares for him. While Cat Noir constantly flirts with her, Ladybug mostly sidesteps his romantic gestures and often gets annoyed with him if the moment is inappropriate (like when they're fighting a villain); however, she does display a bit of affection towards him occasionally.
In "The Evillustrator", when Cat Noir arrives to discuss stopping the villain with Marinette, she mocks him by "mouthing" words with her hands as he shows off, but she does smile and giggle to herself after he leaves. In a webisode, Marinette says that she would possibly give Cat Noir a chance if Adrien did not exist, though she immediately dismisses the thought because she doesn't want to think of a world without Adrien. Despite their teasing relationship, the two are a team: they have a lot of faith and trust in the other. Additionally, they support each other and are willing to risk their lives for the other. She is aware that he wants to know her secret identity but thinks it's better if no one knows for the sake of protecting humanity.
Marinette's kwami, Tikki, allows her to transform into Ladybug. When she sees her for the first time in "Ladybug & Cat Noir", Marinette is terrified, thinking Tikki is a "bug-mouse". She throws several things at her, trying to scare her off. Eventually, Marinette listens to Tikki's information and reluctantly transforms with her for the first time. After defeating Stoneheart, she learns that she failed to purify the akuma and made the situation worse, and despite Tikki encouraging her to keep going, Marinette apologizes to her and puts her away with the Miraculous. It isn't until Stoneheart's next attack that Marinette decides to be Ladybug again, and she puts on the Miraculous again, telling a delighted Tikki that she won't sit back and do nothing when others are in trouble.
They have a good relationship as partners and friends, and Marinette appreciates Tikki's attempts to cheer her up after she has "failed" with Adrien or displayed "incompetence" as Ladybug. Tikki also helps Marinette when she doesn't feel confident in herself and often gives her advice. In "Princess Fragrance", when Tikki gets sick and taken by Chloé, Marinette is desperate to find her and take her to the healer. Once she finds her, Marinette rejects Tikki's suggestion that they transform to stop the titular villain, saying she won't make the same mistake twice to see the healer right away. She tells Tikki after she is healed that she is more than a kwami to her.
Marinette is fully aware that Hawk Moth is the culprit for the akumas and supervillains, though she has never met him in person. She always works hard to stop him, not wanting him to win by taking her Miraculous.
In "Stoneheart (Origins - Part 2)", Ladybug and Cat Noir are introduced to Hawk Moth when akumas form a large version of his head while the two heroes are fighting Stoneheart at the Eiffel Tower. Rather than being intimidated, Ladybug confidently warns Hawk Moth that she and Cat Noir will find him, and he'll be the one giving them his Miraculous.
Marinette is forced to sit by Alya by Chloé on the first day of school in "Ladybug & Cat Noir", but after Alya stands up for her, Marinette befriends her quickly. When she decides to not be Ladybug in "Stoneheart", she plans to give the Ladybug Miraculous to Alya by slipping it into her bag at school. However, when Alya is pinned to a wall by a car and cries out for help, Marinette, who was taking Alya's bag to her after she left it to watch the fight, becomes determined to save her and takes out the Miraculous to use again. The next day at school, Alya reveals her plans to find out Ladybug's secret identity, while Marinette knowingly tells her, "Good luck with that."
Marinette enjoys spending time with Alya, her best friend. Although often frozen with fear whenever Alya assists her with doing something with or for Adrien, Marinette is thankful for her pushing her forward. Alya's desire to find out more about Ladybug and her secret identity has caused many problems for Marinette, who wants to let Alya know that she is Ladybug but can't. She panics when Alya finds the history book she dropped as Ladybug in "The Pharaoh", and she is utterly astounded when Alya leaves her a note saying she knows who Ladybug is in "Lady Wifi". Alya's attempts to find the truth about Ladybug can be exasperating for Marinette, but she does her best to conceal her identity from her. Both find Chloé awful, and both support each other in any way that they can.
Whenever she is with her parents, Marinette is shown to love them and support them, just like they do. Sometimes, she helps them at the bakery, like finishing an order or designing a logo for their business. When the Bubbler's bubbles take her parents away, Marinette deeply desires to save them and all of the parents. She often plays video games with her father.
Marinette has been in the same class with Chloé for four years, and she was always being bullied by her. On the first day, Marinette is frustrated that Chloé and Sabrina force her out of her seat, but she doesn't protest. Alya encourages her to stand up against her, but it isn't until the end of "Stoneheart" that Marinette, now full of confidence, calls out Chloé for her awful actions and tells her to take her attitude and sit somewhere else.
Marinette despises Chloé. She hates how Chloé mistreats everyone, including her "best friend," Sabrina. As Chloé's main target, she constantly deals with Chloé's despicable attitude towards her. Chloé's love for Ladybug doesn't change Marinette's attitude -- making her annoyed over watching after or protecting her. Considering Chloé to be her rival for Adrien's affection, she doesn't like how she is always throwing herself at him, at one time using her Lucky Charm out of jealousy to prevent her from kissing Adrien while slow dancing. Nevertheless, Marinette deals with Chloé with occasional thrilling success, such as the time she reveals that Chloé stole her derby hat design by revealing a unique design on it that proved the hat is actually hers.
Marinette isn't close to Sabrina, but she feels bad that Chloé abuses her so unfairly. In "The Evillustrator", when she stands up for Sabrina, she is surprised that Sabrina immediately tries to befriend her, including doing her geography homework for her, much to her discomfort. Because she agrees to go to a party with the Evillustrator in order to defeat him, she sadly tells Sabrina that working on the presentation later at night won't work, which greatly upsets Sabrina, and she is hurt when Sabrina accuses her of being just like Chloé.
Marinette and Nino get along well as friends. She never realizes he had a crush on her in "Animan" until he admits it after it's gone, but when they're at the park and he lies that he needs help getting together with Alya, Marinette is excited and eager to bring him and her best friend together. In "Simon Says", she is invited to see him perform on The Challenge, but she is grounded by her parents. On occasion, she can get a bit annoyed with him, like with his filming enthusiasm in "Horrificator".
Manon, being a child with an energetic personality is tiring for Marinette, who doesn't have experience with having siblings or skill with bonding with younger children. No matter how exhausting it is to take care of Manon, Marinette does care for her and her safety, promising to her as Ladybug that she'll save her and Alya from the ice dome they're trapped in and trying to change her back to normal when she is turned into the Puppeteer by Hawk Moth.
Being friends with Rose, Marinette likes hanging out with Rose, and she encourages and supports her when needed. To cheer Rose up in "The Notebook", Marinette compliments her journal and draws a picture of a rose in Rose's journal.
Juleka is also one of Marinette's friends, and Marinette cares for her, even though she sometimes is hard to understand due to her shyness. In "Reflekta", Marinette is determined to help Juleka get a good photo of herself, driven enough to defy Chloé and Sabrina's efforts of ruining Juleka's chances of being in the class photo.
Marinette likes Nathaniel and thinks he is an excellent artist, but she never expected him to have a crush on her until Chloé reveals it to everyone in "The Evillustrator". She agrees with him (while he is Evillustrator) that Chloé is egotistical and nasty, and she gets frustrated when he accuses her of being just like Chloé after she reveals that she teamed up with Cat Noir to stop him.
Marinette hears about Lila being a new student from Alya, and when she sees Lila flirting with Adrien, she becomes jealous and upset. She spies on the two in the library and gets angry when she hears Lila lie to Adrien and say that she is friends with Ladybug. In addition, Lila states that she is more powerful and celebrated than Ladybug. Later at the park, when Lila attempts to lie to Adrien about being a Fox Miraculous holder, Marinette transforms into Ladybug and calls out Lila on all her lies, making her cry and run away, her chances with Adrien shattered. Ladybug eventually regrets her harsh treatment of Lila and uncontrolled jealousy after she realizes that Volpina, whom she was jealous and suspicious of, is the akumatized Lila. Once Volpina is defeated, Ladybug apologizes to Lila for her actions, only to have her apology be rejected, with Lila saying they would never be friends, as Ladybug had said earlier on.
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "The Bubbler":||Appears||14. "Princess Fragrance":||Appears|
|2. "Mr. Pigeon":||Appears||15. "Ladybug & Cat Noir (Origins - Part 1)":||Appears|
|3. "Stormy Weather":||Appears||16. "Stoneheart (Origins - Part 2)":||Appears|
|4. "Timebreaker":||Appears||17. "Animan":||Appears|
|5. "Copycat":||Appears||18. "Simon Says":||Appears|
|6. "The Pharaoh":||Appears||19. "Pixelator":||Appears|
|7. "Lady Wifi":||Appears||20. "Guitar Villain":||Appears|
|8. "The Evillustrator":||Appears||21. "Kung Food":||Appears|
|9. "Rogercop":||Appears||22. "Gamer":||Appears|
|10. "Dark Cupid":||Appears||23. "Reflekta":||Appears|
|11. "Horrificator":||Appears||24. "The Puppeteer":||Appears|
|12. "Darkblade":||Appears||25. "Antibug":||Appears|
|13. "The Mime":||Appears||26. "Volpina":||Appears|
|"A Christmas Special":||Appears||"The Chinese Legend":||Will Appear|
|"Ladybug in Halloween":||Will Appear||"Ladybug in New York City":||Will Appear|
|"Marinette in Paris":||Appears||"Marinette and Fashion":||Appears|
|"Ladybug as seen by Adrien":||Appears||"Ladyblog":||Appears|
|"Adrien's Double Life":||Appears||"Marinette and Alya":||Appears|
|"Marinette's Double Life":||Appears||"Cat Noir as seen by Marinette":||Appears|
|"My Birthday Party":||Appears||"Marinette and Adrien":||Appears|
|Tales from Paris|
|1. "The Notebook":||Appears||"TBA":||Unknown|
|4. "Busy Day":||Appears||"TBA":||Unknown|
|5. "Homework Essay":||Appears||"TBA":||Unknown|
|Miraculous Ladybug OVA:||Will Appear||Miraculous film:||Will Appear|
Books and comics
|"Issue 1":||Will Appear||"Issue 3":||Will Appear|
|"Issue 2":||Will Appear|
|Other Comics & Books|
|Ladybug Artbook:||Appears||Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug:||Will Appear|
|Miraculous: Tales of Cat Noir:||Unknown||Tales of Miraculous:||Unknown|
|Miraculous (manga):||Will Appear|
|Super Lady Luck:||Appears||Miraculous Mission Ladybug:||Appears|
|Throwdown!:||Appears||Ladybug Contra os Vilões:||Appears|
|The Mini Menace Ladybug:||Appears||Ladybug PV:||Appears|
|First CGI promotional videos:||Appears||Ladybug musical:||Appears|
- Ladybugs are known to be symbols of good luck, especially in the love department, according to Alya.
- Thomas Astruc created Ladybug around 2005 when he was exchanging drawings on post-it notes with another worker and made one with the superheroine.
- In the fake comic book covers of The Mini Menace Ladybug, Marinette's name was Marietta.
- Marinette's design changed from the Ladybug PV version. Her anime design included jean shorts, and as Ladybug, she had a red-orange face mask without black spots and two long red-orange ribbons attached to each pigtail. She also had longer hair and lacked freckles.
- In the PV, Marinette's earrings were always red with five spots, no matter if she was Ladybug or Marinette. She only wore them as a civilian when needing to transform, not having them in public.
- PV Ladybug's costume differs from the CGI Ladybug as well, with PV Ladybug's spots being found only on her torso (her legs and feet were completely red) and wearing a ladybug-themed bag instead of having the yo-yo. PV Ladybug's hair and hair ribbons are also significantly longer than the current version of Ladybug, and she has an ahoge, which means "foolish hair" in Japanese.
- The yo-yo didn't exist; PV Ladybug fought using hand-to-hand combat.
- Her anime version was less shy around her crush, as she's able to be very close to Félix without panicking or being nervous. She even asks him out while slightly blushing and looking right at him, although Félix coldly refuses.
- Marinette's CGI design seems to have gone through a change as well. Earlier footage and images of Marinette included dark blueish-black hair, red tips of hair at the end of her pigtails, and gray eyes.
- In a placeholder animation, Ladybug was seen wielding a sword. Whether or not this is to be used as a new weapon or a Lucky Charm object is unknown.
- During the earlier stages of development, Ladybug wasn't allowed to abuse her powers of good luck, or else something bad would happen to her. As of now, it is unknown if Ladybug still has this issue, since, as seen in "The Bubbler", all that happens when she selfishly uses Lucky Charm is that she runs out of power and loses her transformation.
- In the English version, the pronunciation of the name Marinette with "mar" as in "marinade" is used, and in French, and other countries, the pronunciation with "mar" as in "market" is used.
- The first part of her last name, "Dupain," comes from the French words "du pain," which mean "of the bread" or "some bread." This is a reference to her father's job as a baker.
- "Marinette" translates as "the one who rises."
- "Cheng," the second part of her last name, translates as "to make."
- Literally, Marinette's name is "the one who rises to make bread."
- Her responsibilities as a superhero not only include fighting akumatized villains but also patrolling and many other things.
- Marinette is right-handed, but this changes depending on animation errors.
- In "Stormy Weather", Marinette's infatuation with Adrien is revealed to even include plans for a family. The names of their supposed children are Hugo, Emma, and Louis—all traditional French names. Aside from these, she also appears fond of dogs and especially hamsters.
- She briefly considers a black cat as well but rejects it for some reason, likely because of Cat Noir.
- Although not having any romantic feelings towards Cat Noir, in the webisode "Cat Noir as Seen by Marinette", Marinette reveals that she's aware he may have a crush on her, and she admits she might have given him a chance if Adrien hadn't been around.
- In the Korean and French dubs of "The Pharaoh", Alya says that Ladybug might be a 9th grader, while in the English dub of the episode she says she might be a 10th grader.
- Ladybug's legacy is over 5,000 years old, as revealed in "The Pharaoh".
- Marinette is naturally flexible, being even more flexible as Ladybug because of her enhanced physical abilities.
- Marinette's hair color is an homage to old comic books that would use blue highlights on black hair.
- Marinette has stolen both Adrien's and Alya's phones during the series. Ironically, however, both thefts were unintentional and involved her trying to hide a fact from the respective owners.
- She has also stolen and returned Chloé's phone.
- Marinette sleeps with her pigtails on, as seen in the opening of "The Bubbler" and the ending of "The Pharaoh".
- Thomas noted that Marinette would be hard to akumatize, as she is an optimistic person.
- She is partially responsible for Théo's and Manon's vulnerability to getting akumatized, and she is responsible for Max's, Chloé's, Lila, and Santa's akumatizations. This ironically makes her the second person who caused the most akumatizations in Season 1, the first being Chloé.
- More of Marinette's Chinese heritage will be seen in the future.
- Thomas Astruc revealed on Twitter that Marinette and Adrien will be seen as a "real couple" at some point in the show.
Click here to view the gallery.