|“||This is so insane! I've got powers, and I'm fighting supervillains!||”|
—Rena Rouge, "Sapotis"
Alya Césaire is Marinette's best friend, and a student in Miss Bustier's class at Collège Françoise Dupont. She is also the sole admin of the Ladyblog and head of the school blog. In "Lady Wifi", after Alya gets suspended from school because of Chloé, she is akumatized by Hawk Moth and becomes Lady Wifi, a supervillain whose powers come from her smartphone and its Wi-Fi signal.
In "Sapotis", after Alya receives the Fox Miraculous from Ladybug, she, when the Miraculous is inhabited by Trixx, becomes Rena Rouge, a fox-themed superhero who helps Ladybug and Cat Noir "during particularly difficult missions" in the second season.
In "Mayura", during the fight with Scarlet Moth, Rena Rouge is akumatized into Rena Rage.
Alya is tan-skinned and 5'5". She has hazel eyes and heart-shaped lips. Alya has wavy and reddish-brown ombre hair which grows slightly past her shoulders, with the tips of her hair having a lighter shade of copper red. Above her right eyebrow, she has a beauty mark.
She wears black-rimmed glasses, with a white spot on each side, while her outfit consists of a white tank top underneath a short-sleeved plaid shirt with white, orange, and purple stripes; light blue jeans, and white sneakers with black tops. She wears a light berry colored lipstick.
As Rena Rouge
When transformed, Rena Rouge's hair becomes a three-tone ombré, having the roots turn dark red/red-orange, blending to orange with the tips being white, and she wears her hair back into a high ponytail with an orange hairband. She wears an orange mask with a white bottom half and a black mark above each eye. Two orange fox ears with white insides, black tips, and black edges are attached to the top of her head. The top layer of her suit, akin to an overcoat, is orange with a white front, a black swan-necked collar, and black arms and gloves up to the middle of her upper arms. The overcoat layer attaches down the vertical front center with a zipper, and the Fox Miraculous becomes the zipper. The overcoat also has a long fox tail-like coattail that ends a bit below her knees at a sharp white tip. The bottom layer of her suit is orange with a white center on the front of the body and black legs starting at a point in the middle of her upper legs. She also wears black boots with orange soles and black fox paw print markings. She attaches her flute diagonally on her back when it's not being used.
As Lady Wifi
Lady Wifi has a black butterfly-shaped mask on her face, and her eyes are dark magenta. She wears a black suit, her lower arms, and legs white with three stripes that are white above each. On her chest is a glowing hot pink Wi-Fi symbol, and a thin white line goes around her waist, with the line creating a semicircle above a short vertical white line in the front, resembling a power button.
Alya is rather energetic, passionate, and funny, confident, yet down to earth and smart. She is extremely loyal, supportive, helpful, and sometimes pushy, such as when she goes out of her way to encourage and (sometimes literally) push Marinette into spending time with Adrien. Her cleverness and foresight have come in handy many times. After Marinette thinks she accidentally lost a video of Ladybug on Alya's cellphone, Alya explains that she had already posted the video on her blog, mindful that something might go wrong when she showed Marinette the video. From thoroughly observing Ladybug and Cat Noir in action, Alya has figured out the basics of the superheroes' work, such as breaking the akumatized object to stop the villain. She doesn't like being undermined or doubted by others, especially when it comes to her work.
Alya has a dramatic side to her personality as well, such as when she pretends to be a unicorn with Manon (in "Stormy Weather") and when she later makes an excuse to Adrien's photographer, who asks her to be a support model for Adrien, so Marinette can do the modeling instead. Having to babysit her younger siblings at home, she is great with kids. When it comes to anything involving Ladybug and Cat Noir, Alya easily becomes very excited and basically has a single goal of updating her blog as soon as possible, such as when, in "The Pharaoh", she is kidnapped by the titular villain to be a sacrifice yet still records herself and live streams the video on her blog. She also tends to jump to conclusions, such as when she quickly suspects Chloé of being Ladybug after seeing the girl with her own Ladybug suit and toy yo-yo and mistaking them for the real ones. In "Volpina", she readily believes Lila's claim of once being saved by Ladybug. Alya was for a long time intent on finding out what the civilian identities of the two superheroes are and was willing to follow almost any lead she was given towards that goal. In her pursuit of the truth, Alya tends to forget her own safety at times, needing rescue from the very superheroes she's filming. Sometimes, she goes too far, such as spying on Chloé's locker, which results in her getting punished by Mr. Damocles.
As described by Cat Noir in "The Pharaoh", Alya is a "brave chick," unafraid to get close to villains or willing to jump into danger to protect others. Her bravery and determination has helped both civilians and superheroes, such as when she makes a plan with her classmates to save Marinette in "Befana", sacrificing herself in the process, and when she rides a bike to distract the titular villain of "Gigantitan" from harming Ladybug showing her skills as a leader. As Ladybug, Marinette in "The Pharaoh", also calls Alya bossy, feisty, and bold.
She holds great admiration and respect for the two superheroes, especially Ladybug, wishing to know anything and everything about her. Much more, she wildly dreams of knowing Ladybug's identity but would respect her desire to keep it secret, and wishes to work alongside her, as mentioned in the Ladyblog and "Sapotis". Also in the same episode, most of that dream comes true when the superheroine chooses her to wield the Fox Miraculous and asks Alya for her help in defeating the villain. She greatly values the trust Ladybug has in her, making Alya someone of her word, and she has a burning desire to continue helping her new teammates.
As Rena Rouge, Alya retains most of her personality traits such as her undying loyalty, trustworthiness, and curiosity about Ladybug and Cat Noir. She is supportive of her allies, whom she gets very excited about working with, causing her to be a bit of a scatterbrain. A fast learner, Rena Rouge takes quickly to her new abilities, but while it is hard for her to give her Miraculous back to Ladybug, she keeps to her promise.
As Lady Wifi, her desire for answers increases considerably. Despising Ladybug's secrecy, she will stop at nothing to find out her secret identity, even if it means exposing a horrible person underneath, such as when she believes that Chloé is Ladybug. Her speediness to update onlookers remains the same, but her methods for finding info become sneakier and harsher.
As a civilian
Alya is very tech-savvy. She keeps up the school blog and Ladyblog with ease, uploading videos, streaming live recordings, and adding articles. She records with her cellphone and knows how to download videos from it. Along with technological skills, Alya is a very good writer, composing blogs for Ladybug and penning the script for Nino's film in "Horrificator". She excels at presenting herself in her videos, explaining situations when needed and usually keeping her cool if the situation gets dangerous, as with the Pharaoh. Observant and a quick thinker, Alya has figured out a lot of things about Ladybug, Cat Noir, and the villains they fight from watching them.
As Rena Rouge
Rena Rouge has enhanced skills, such as speed, strength, and most prominently, agility, shown when she can jump to heights that Ladybug and Cat Noir cannot. Rena Rouge uses her flute as her weapon, being able to fight with it easily, and also uses it for her special power.
Her special power, Mirage, is executed by playing her flute to produce an orange ball of energy at the far end of it. Wherever she throws the ball of energy by swinging the flute, it creates an illusion. However, the illusion disappears if it is touched. Although Mirage is handy to use, Rena Rouge must use it wisely, as she can only use it once before reverting back to her civilian form five minutes after using it.
As Lady Wifi
A Wi-Fi signal gives Lady Wifi power, but if the signal is too weak or nonexistent, she loses her abilities. She uses her cellphone, which is the akumatized object, as her weapon. Swiping her phone, she can shoot out glowing pink icons, to wit:
- The pause and stop icons, which can freeze people.
- The padlock icon, which can lock doors, and bind body parts to a surface.
- The camera icon, which she uses to film and broadcast videos that she can project in the sky and on all available screens.
- The fast forward icon, which acts like a hoverboard as a mode of transportation. This is first shown in "The Puppeteer".
She is also able to dispel any of the currently in-use icons by crossing them off using her cellphone.
Additionally, Lady Wifi can teleport herself using cell phones and antennas.
Even without her phone abilities, Lady Wifi is skilled in hand-to-hand combat, easily being able to pin Cat Noir down on the ground. In "The Puppeteer", Lady Wifi is also shown to be remarkably strong, easily lifting an entire wooden chest and throwing it across the room at Ladybug.
= Gender Unknown
- It is currently uncertain which twin is Ella and which twin is Etta. The images associated with each twin's name are guesses not to be taken as fact.
- The age of Nora, the eldest daughter, is unknown.
- All of the Césaires' first names are based on famous jazz singers.
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "The Bubbler":||Appears||14. "Princess Fragrance":||Appears|
|2. "Mr. Pigeon":||Appears||15. "Ladybug & Cat Noir":||Appears|
|3. "Stormy Weather":||Appears||16. "Stoneheart":||Appears|
|4. "Timebreaker":||Appears||17. "Animan":||Appears|
|5. "Copycat":||Appears||18. "Simon Says":||Appears|
|6. "The Pharaoh":||Appears||19. "Pixelator":||Appears|
|7. "Lady Wifi":||Appears||20. "Guitar Villain":||Appears|
|8. "The Evillustrator":||Appears||21. "Kung Food":||Appears|
|9. "Rogercop":||Appears||22. "Gamer":||Appears|
|10. "Dark Cupid":||Appears||23. "Reflekta":||Appears|
|11. "Horrificator":||Appears||24. "The Puppeteer":||Appears|
|12. "Darkblade":||Appears||25. "Antibug":||Appears|
|13. "The Mime":||Appears||26. "Volpina":||Appears|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "A Christmas Special":||Appears||14. "Frightningale":||Appears|
|2. "The Collector":||Appears||15. "Syren":||Appears|
|3. "Prime Queen":||Appears||16. "Zombizou":||Appears|
|4. "Despair Bear":||Appears||17. "Frozer":||Appears|
|5. "Riposte":||Absent||18. "Style Queen (Queen's Battle - Part 1)":||Appears|
|6. "Befana":||Appears||19. "Troublemaker":||Background|
|7. "Robostus":||Appears||20. "Queen Wasp (Queen's Battle - Part 2)":||Appears|
|8. "The Dark Owl":||Appears||21. "Reverser":||Absent|
|9. "Gigantitan":||Appears||22. "Anansi":||Appears|
|10. "Glaciator":||Appears||23. "Malediktator":||Appears|
|11. "Sapotis":||Appears||24. "Sandboy":||Absent|
|12. "Gorizilla":||Appears||25. "Catalyst":||Appears|
|13. "Captain Hardrock":||Appears||26. "Mayura":||Appears|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "Chameleon":||Appears||14. "TBA":||Unknown|
|2. "TBA":||Unknown||15. "TBA":||Unknown|
|3. "TBA":||Unknown||16. "TBA":||Unknown|
|4. "TBA":||Unknown||17. "TBA":||Unknown|
|5. "TBA":||Unknown||18. "TBA":||Unknown|
|6. "TBA":||Unknown||19. "TBA":||Unknown|
|7. "TBA":||Unknown||20. "TBA":||Unknown|
|8. "TBA":||Unknown||21. "TBA":||Unknown|
|9. "TBA":||Unknown||22. "TBA":||Unknown|
|10. "TBA":||Unknown||23. "TBA":||Unknown|
|11. "TBA":||Unknown||24. "TBA":||Unknown|
|12. "TBA":||Unknown||25. "TBA":||Unknown|
|13. "TBA":||Unknown||26. "TBA":||Unknown|
|"Marinette in Paris":||Background||"Marinette and Adrien":||Appears|
|"Marinette and Fashion":||Appears||"Master Fu":||Absent|
|"Ladybug as seen by Adrien":||Background||"Tikki":||Will Appear|
|"Adrien's Double Life":||Appears||"Friends":||Appears|
|"Marinette and Alya":||Appears||"Nino":||Will Appear|
|"Marinette's Double Life":||Appears||"Max":||Background|
|"Cat Noir as seen by Marinette":||Absent||"Mylène":||Absent|
|"My Birthday Party":||Appears||"Rose":||Will Appear|
|Tales from Paris|
|1. "The Notebook":||Appears||4. "Busy Day":||Appears|
|2. "Inspiration":||Absent||5. "Homework Essay":||Absent|
|"Happy Birthday to You!":||Background||Miraculous Ladybug OVA:||Unknown|
Comics and books
|"Issue 1":||Appears||"Issue 5":||Appears|
|"Issue 2":||Appears||"Issue 6":||Unknown|
|"Issue 3":||Absent||"Issue 7":||Unknown|
|"Issue 4":||Absent||"Issue 8":||Unknown|
|Other Comics & Books|
|Ladybug Artbook:||Appears||Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug:||Unknown|
|Miraculous: Tales of Cat Noir:||Unknown||Tales of Miraculous:||Unknown|
|Super Lady Luck:||Absent||Miraculous Mission Ladybug:||Absent|
|Throwdown!:||Absent||Ladybug Contra os Vilões:||Appears|
|Miraculous Ladybug & Cat Noir:||Playable|
|The Mini Menace Ladybug:||Absent||Ladybug PV:||Absent|
|First CGI promotional videos:||Absent||Korean musical:||Appears|
- Alya's name is derived from the R&B singer Aaliyah, just as the rest of her family's names are references to jazz singers.
- In Slavonic, "Alya" means "beautiful" or "scarlet," possibly a reference to her red-brown hair. In Arabic, "Alya" means "sky," "heaven," or "loftiness."
- In the Serbian dub, her name is changed to Ajla.
- Alya is the most recurring character of the series, appearing in nearly every episode, alongside Marinette, Adrien, Hawk Moth, Tikki, and Plagg.
- Unlike in the final product, Alya knew that Marinette was Ladybug in the early concept of the show.
- In older concept art, Alya didn't wear glasses but instead wore sunglasses on top of her head.
- Lady Wifi has made the most appearances of any akumatized villain so far.
- In "The Evillustrator", she reappears in Nathaniel's fantasy, teaming up with Stormy Weather to attack Marinette.
- In "The Puppeteer", she makes her third appearance while under the Puppeteer's influence.
- She is the first villain that manages to remove a Miraculous from one of the heroes without making it disappear, as Cat Noir drops his ring when she throws him into a freezer. However, she is unaware of the success as she focuses on Ladybug at the time.
- Followed by the titular villain in the episode, "The Dark Owl".
- Her family comes from Martinique, which is possibly a reference to Aimé Césaire.
- Despite the statement in "Ladybug & Cat Noir (Origins - Part 1)" that Alya was a new student at the school and didn't know any of the school's students beforehand, in "Darkblade", she says that Chloé may have been Class Representative since kindergarten.
- In Season 2 and upcoming comics, Alya will have more interactions with Nino.
- News of Alya appearing as a superhero in an upcoming season was first released at Anime Expo 2016 during the Miraculous Ladybug panel.
- It was confirmed again at the panel at San Diego Comic Con 2016, along with revealing her debut to be in Season 2.
- Rena Rouge's identity was later revealed to be Alya at the Miraculous panel at New York Comic Con 2016.
- Her superhero name was revealed at a TFOU press conference on August 31, 2017.
- The final concept design of Rena Rouge was revealed at the New York Toy Fair 2017 as a preview for a fashion doll and action doll of her.
- Rena Rouge means "Red Fox" in French, as Rena is short for renarde, which is French for "fox," and rouge is the French word for "red."
- Alternatively, rena could also be referring to the word for "fox" in Haitian-Creole.
- In the Italian dub, she is called Volpe Rossa which also means "Red Fox".
- In the European Portuguese dub, she is called "Fox Rouge" that, like Cat Noir, is a combination between the words "fox" and "rouge" that is french to "red".
- Lila, during her akumatization as Volpina, can create hyper-realistic illusions by playing her flute, mirroring Rena Rouge's ability to create illusions, similar to how Théo and Chloé's akumatized forms' skills mirror those of Cat Noir and Ladybug respectively.
- However, while Volpina can create multiple illusions without losing power and detransforming, Rena Rouge can only make one illusion per transformation.
- According to a synopsis on Le Figaro, Wang Fu will call on Rena Rouge.
- Alya is the first person to become an akumatized villain and a Miraculous holder, excluding Gabriel, who akumatized himself.
- As revealed in "Syren", Alya still gets called on by Ladybug to be Rena Rouge from time to time, but she always gives back the Fox Miraculous when she’s done.
- Similar to Cat Noir, Rena Rouge's ears and tail are fake, but it is unknown if they respond to her mood, emotions or if they can enhance senses.
- As Rena Rouge, her body is slimmer than her civilian form, and her hair is longer and goes up in a ponytail.
- Ladybug gives the Bee Miraculous to Alya in "Style Queen" but she is turned into a glitter statue before she can transform.
Click here to view the gallery.