|“||When it comes to luring superheroes, what could be better than creating supervillains?||”|
TransformationWhenever a person has strong negative emotions, such as anger, frustration, jealousy, disappointment, humiliation or sadness, Hawk Moth senses it from his lair and charges a butterfly with dark power to form an akuma. The akuma flies off from Hawk Moth's lair to where the person is, and it possesses an important object that belongs to the person.
Immediately, Hawk Moth telepathically links up to the person in order to communicate, using a butterfly-shaped light mask that goes around his and the person's eyes. Also, in that moment, the area around the victim's eyes darkens. He gives them a new name for their supervillain identity and then explains to the person that he'll give them the ability to accomplish their goals and/or get revenge, if, in turn, the person will retrieve the Ladybug Miraculous and Cat Miraculous from Ladybug and Cat Noir, respectively.
Once the person agrees, black and purple smoke appears from the possessed object and surrounds the person. Once it vanishes, the person has transformed into a supervillain. If Hawk Moth needs to telepathically talk with them again, his light mask reappears on both Hawk Moth and the villain.
An akumatized villain usually has an appearance and abilities that relate to their infected object, occupation, circumstances, and/or interests. For example, because of Xavier Ramier's love of pigeons and his object being a pigeon call, he becomes Mr. Pigeon, a villain with a suit based off of pigeons and the ability to command pigeons. In whatever way they're changed, an akumatized villain usually have enhanced abilities and skills. A majority of the time, their objects end up becoming their weapons, such as the Bubbler's bubble wand and Guitar Villain's guitar.
Aside from their peculiar powers, supervillains seem to have enhanced strength, durability, and fighting skills. For example, Lady Wifi, manages to pin down Cat Noir when they are both disarmed, and the Mime is able to hold the Eiffel Tower with his own strength.
Every villain, after being corrupted, remembers the cause of their distress and the person who caused it, so they usually try to get revenge. Additionally, some villains, namely Copycat, the Evillustrator, and Horrificator, remember the people whom they have romantic feelings for (Ladybug, Marinette, and Ivan Bruel respectively) and still care for them while transformed.
Hawk Moth can't mind control his villains, psychologically manipulating them instead. However, if a supervillain doesn't go and retrieve the Miraculous like they were asked to, Hawk Moth can control their bodies for a short period of time in order to inflict pain onto them until they agree to do it as quickly as possible. He can also remove their powers, another threat he uses against his victims to keep them on-task.
As seen in "Ladybug & Cat Noir" and "Stoneheart", if Ladybug doesn't purify a villain's akuma when she captures it, the akuma multiplies, and they transform various people into frozen copies of the villain. When the original akuma's victim is akumatized again, the copies unfreeze, and the villain has control over them, able to make them follow his or her orders and desires.
In order to defeat a villain and release the akuma, the special object that the akuma infects needs to be destroyed. After the object is destroyed, Ladybug uses her yo-yo to capture the akuma to "de-evilize" and revert it back into a normal butterfly. After the Miraculous Ladybug has reverted the damage caused since the akuma infected the villain, they are detransformed by the purple smoke, with only blurry memories of what happened (like a dream that can't be remembered clearly).
List of akumatized villains
To see each villain's akumatized object, see List of akumatized objects
|"The Bubbler"||Able to fly short distances, along with using his bubble wand to create impenetrable bubbles with various effects.|
|"Mr. Pigeon"||Able to control and communicate with pigeons with his pigeon whistle.|
|Aurore Beauréal/ Stormy Weather||"Stormy Weather"||Can fly and control the weather with her parasol.|
|Alix Kubdel/ Timebreaker||"Timebreaker"||Can absorb energy from people she touches in order to travel back in time.|
|Théo Barbot/||"Copycat"||Has the exact appearance and abilities of Cat Noir.|
|"The Pharaoh"||Uses the powers of various Egyptian gods.|
|"Lady Wifi"||Utilizes her cellphone for attacks, and can teleport through cellphones.|
|"The Evillustrator"||Draws objects that become real by using his drawing tablet and pen, and can erase existing items as well.|
|Roger Raincomprix/ Rogercop||"Rogercop"||Can shoot out laser handcuffs onto people to make them follow his orders.|
|Lê Chiến Kim/|
|"Dark Cupid"||Flies and shoots arrows that turn any form of love or friendship into hate.|
|Mylène Haprèle/ Horrificator||"Horrificator"||Shoots sticky goo from her mouth and grows larger by absorbing the fear of other people.|
|Armand D'Argencourt/ Darkblade||"Darkblade"||Turns people whom he "knights" into his loyal soldiers and can also turn cars into catapults.|
|"The Mime"||Allows any object he mimes to manifest as a solid, but invisible construct. Can only mime one object at a time.|
|Jean Duparc/ Magician of Misfortune||"Princess Fragrance"||Can make anything disappear with a puff of smoke.|
|Rose Lavillant/ Princess Fragrance||Uses a perfume gun which can fire different scents with different effects. Can also use the perfume gun to propel herself through the air.|
|Ivan Bruel/ Stoneheart||"Ladybug & Cat Noir (Origins - Part 1)"||Has superhuman strength and grows larger and stronger every time he takes a hit. Later gains control over an army of other Stonehearts.|
|"Stoneheart (Origins - Part 2)"|
|Otis Césaire/||"Animan"||Transforms into any animal that he desires, including extinct species.|
|Simon Grimault/ Simon Says||"Simon Says"||Uses his deck of cards to command people to do what he wants.|
|Vincent Aza/Pixelator||"Pixelator"||Traps people in an infinite white plane inside picture frames in his room whenever he takes pictures of people through his lens. Can also "pixelate" the bodies and limbs of others, making them intangible.|
|"Guitar Villain"||Shoots beams from his guitar that have different effects according to the chord he plays.|
|"Kung Food"||Controls people who drink his soup, and can summon food weapons from his pouch, such as a pizza sword and sushi tonfas.|
|"Gamer"||Uses a giant robot from a videogame to turn people and objects into green balls of energy and upgrade it. Can also "save" a copy of it if it is destroyed.|
|Juleka Couffaine/ Reflekta||"Reflekta"||Turns people into identical physical copies of herself.|
|"The Puppeteer"||Controls people using puppets that depict them. If she has puppets depicting akumatized villains, she can also transform people back into their previous akumatized form.|
|Sabrina Raincomprix/Vanisher||"Antibug"||Has the power to turn herself completely invisible.|
|Has the same powers as Ladybug, but as the complete opposite, such as having "Anti-Charm" instead of Ladybug's Lucky Charm.|
|Lila Rossi/Volpina||"Volpina"||Can use her flute to create realistic illusions.|
|Gabriel Agreste/The Collector||"The Collector"||Can imprison any person or object as a drawing within his Sketch Book. Can also erase sketches by wiping them away.|
|Jean/Despair Bear||"Despair Bear"||Pilots a mechanical teddy bear from the inside, which has the power to control the mind any person it is hanging on to.|
|Nadja Chamack/Prime Queen||"Prime Queen"||With the energy from her watch, Prime Queen can phase objects and people, including herself, through screens.|
|Gina Dupain/Befana||"Befana"||Using her magical pistol, Befana can fire blasts that turn people into either coal statues or into fairy minions.|
|Kagami Tsurugi/Riposte||"Riposte"||Wields a sword, and can strike at incredible speeds and slice through objects as thick as a car. She can also fire sonic blasts from her sword.|
|Markov/Robustus||"Robustus"||Can control electronic devices, and grant them awareness.|
|August/Gigantitan||"Gigantitan"||Possesses enormous strength and size.|
|Mr. Damocles/Dark Owl||"Dark Owl"||A wide array of gadgets and tools, enhanced agility and combat abilities.|
|Penny Rolling/Troublemaker||"Troublemaker"||Can switch between being intangible and tangible.|
|Style Queen||"Style Queen"||Currently unknown.|
|Queen Wasp||"Queen Wasp"||Currently unknown.|
|Laura Marano/Rossignoble||"Rossignoble"||Currently unknown.|
|Captain Hardrock||"Captain Hardrock"||Currently unknown.|
|Santa Claus/ Santa Claws||"A Christmas Special"||Gives out exploding Christmas presents that can contain bats, tarantulas, cockroaches or weapons such as maces and swords for him to use. Also rides a flying sleigh that can phase through walls.|
|Adam/Replay||"Replay"||Manipulates time around him with his watch.|
|Silurus||"Trash Krakken Part 1"||Can control and manipulate both water and catfish.|
- Many of the supervillains' face masks, such as those of Stormy Weather, Lady Wifi, and the Evillustrator, resemble the shape of a butterfly, most likely in reference to the akumas. Similarly, the four eyeholes in Darkblade's helmet resemble the four wings of a butterfly.
- When an akuma infects the object of the new villain and the light mask appears around their face, the darkened area is almost always an indication of the shape of their mask.
- People can be akumatized after the first time, though it's unknown if a person's second akumatization results in a different appearance or the same appearance from their first akumatization.
- There are some cases in which a villain reappears or gets akumatized in a irregular situation more than once.
- In "Timebreaker", both Alixes from two different timelines get akumatized.
- In "The Evillustrator", Nathaniel's dream includes Lady Wifi and Stormy Weather.
- Ivan transforms into Stoneheart in both of the Origins episodes.
- In "The Puppeteer", the Puppeteer uses her powers to bring back Lady Wifi, the Evillustrator, and Rogercop.
- According to Hawk Moth, it is implied that Lila may return as a villain due to her unforgiving Ladybug in "Volpina".
- After Hawk Moth gives his victims their new names, they accept them and discard their former names until they are defeated.
- Chloé is directly and/or indirectly responsible for making many of the characters vulnerable to Hawk Moth's akumas.
- The people of whom she causes to be akumatized are Alix, Alya, Nathaniel, Roger, Kim, Mylène, Wang Cheng, Sabrina, Juleka, and Rose. However, it should be noted that Alix is arguable in some regards considering the circumstances.
- The second person who caused the most akumatizations is Marinette, who caused Max, Chloé, Lila, and Santa's akumatizations.
- Ladybug and Cat Noir usually try to persuade the supervillains to calm down and stop their rampage when they get a chance to do so.
- Most of the villains are seen near Marinette and/or Adrien shortly before the akuma infects them.
- In most cases, the villains usually get what they want when they are transformed or after they are defeated. However, this doesn't always happen.
- It is unknown if non-humans, such as robots, animals, or kwamis, can be akumatized, but Season 2 will have some answers, as revealed by Thomas Astruc at San Diego Comic-Con 2016.
- However, animals and objects that are not infected by the akuma can be transformed indirectly with the akumatized villains.
- Roger Raincomprix's police car transforms with him, its appearance changing and it being able to fly.
- When Jagged Stone turns into Guitar Villain, Fang is transformed into a dragon.
- Santa Claus's horses turn into reindeer, and his sleigh changes its appearance as well, gaining the ability to fly.
- Albert is also akumatized alongside Mr. Damocles, as Mr. Damocles's monitor was the akumatized object; Albert gains a human face, as opposed to his normal cartoony appearance.
- However, animals and objects that are not infected by the akuma can be transformed indirectly with the akumatized villains.
- In "Robustus", Markov, Max Kanté's robot, is akumatized. In the same episode, it is stated that any sentient creature with emotions can be akumatized.
- According to Nooroo, the Moth Miraculous is meant to create superheroes rather than supervillains.
- While Hawk Moth can threaten his victims to focus on getting Ladybug and Cat Noir's Miraculouses with removing their powers or causing them pain, the ability is supposed to be used to keep akumatized heroes from becoming evil.
- Thomas Astruc noted that Marinette would be a hard person to akumatize as she is an optimistic person.
- He also noted that Adrien has not yet been akumatized because he is so used to disappointment.